Copying a IDE drive to SATA for use in bootable RAID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewt

Solid State Member
I am trying to set my XP pro system to boot from a mirrored RAID 1, but everytime it gets to the windows loading screen it blues screens and reboots.

My original C drive is a single 40Gig IDE drive.

Copied the C: 40Gig Drive image to an 80Gig SATA using CasperXP.

Then moved the 80Gig SATA to my Highpoint RocketRAID 1520 on port 1.

Set up a (mirrored) RAID 1 in the Highpoint Bios without trouble.

Set up my Asus MB BIOS to boot to SCSI.

Restart.

BIOS appears to start normally, the ASUS MB (audio) tells me that it is booting to the OS

I see the WINDOWS display on the screen for a quick instant, then a blue screen for another instant(too fast to read), then reboot.

I get the same problem if I try a XP safe-mode boot.

So I am looking for any ideas(HELP) of what I might be missing. Do I need some SATA driver in the Windows XP OS loaded?

It this even possible?

Thanks for any help and ides of things to try.

Are you tring to raid an IDE and a SATA drive? Is that even posible?

Think theres a way to disable the automatic restart from the boot selection window. It might give you a way to see that error message. Hit f8 to get to that menu, and look around, I forget the specifics of it.

I want to move my boot disk to two SATA drives in a RAID 1 using the Highpoint RocketRAID 1520 card.

I am able to copy the drive image from the IDE drive to a single SATA drive,

Then I move the SATA drive to the Highpoint 1520 card. When I boot up I go into the RAID card BIOS and build a RAID 1.

All of that works fine.

I only run into problems trying to boot into the OS, in this case XPpro.

So I am wondering if I am missing a driver somewhere.

Wait ok I missed that, uhm...... Let me get this right. Your trying to save your current xp installation, while you change from a single ide drive, to a raid sata setup.

Now did you have sata working in xp before you tryed switching over?

Yeah most boards require a sata driver to use sata drives.

Yes I think you have it.

My XP OS is on a 40 Gig IDE.

I made an exact image of it on a SATA 80Gig drive using CasperXP.

I currently have a number of SATA drives in use in my system as additional drives E, F, etc. So I was confident I did not need SATA drivers.

But the only thing I can think of is when this RAID trys to boot to XP the blue screen I am barely seeing is due to missing drivers. But that is just a quess.

Maybe drivers for the Highpoint RAID card? Maybe thats what I need.

Yeah if it wasn't installed in xp before you changed over, then its a pretty good posibility of why its crashing. Another possible reason is just xp not being able to be 'fexible' enough to adjust to this change.

Yeah that was it.

I started back up with my original IDE drive, downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the Highpoint RAID card.

Copied the new IDE HD image over to the 80Gig SATA.

Shut down.

Put the SATA drive back on the RAID card.

Disconnected the original IDE drive.

Set my BIOS to "boot to SCSI"

And it booted perfectly.

Thanks for helping out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom