bootup/spontaneous reset probems

Status
Not open for further replies.

begster5780

Beta member
Dear all,
I am new to all this I am having a problem with my PC that I hope somebody can help me with. When I am booting up my PC it is spontaneously resetting it self, normally just before displaying the logon/welcome screen. Sometimes it happens as soon as I enter my password and hit Enter and on some occasions it has happened when I am burning a CD as soon as I have clicked the burn button on the burning software. This is happening 3 or 4 times each time I switch on my PC. The tech specs of the PC in question are:-

Pentium 4 2.0 GHz processor
1Gb of RAM
Jetway 845DPro motherboard
GeForce FX-5700LE Graphics
Creative Soundblaster PCI 128 soundcard
Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus PCI Mpeg Decoder

I am also attaching a screenshot image of the processes that are running immediatley after windows has loaded. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

Attachments

• processes.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 67
I'm gonna take the easy way out, and recomend a windows repair...

could it be overheating... (make sure the inside is clean)

Thers a couple of processes in there that are kinda weird looking.
I would suggest :
1. running HighJackThis, and post your log.
2. saying screw it and reformat it.

The restart when you begin to burn a disk would leave me to beleive it might have something to do with Overheating.
However, the problem might be related to a virus. Some viruses will be in the startup, and they are programmed to shut the pc down. The would explain why the shutting off is at the login screen, and not in the bios. I would try to boot into safe mode, Tape F8 through bois to begin, and see if the same problem persist. That would give a better indication of the problem, wheather hardware related or not.

Phil

Several more things to check...

Check avaialbe disk space, run check disk and defrag.
Run memtest86.
Run Microsofts anti spyware program.

Good luck

Yea good luck with that. I just fixed two pc's with that problem. Turns out, 3 hard drives crashed within 2 weeks of each other. One had to be taken apart in a clean room to get the data off ($760... the data ended up corrupted... it was not a happy day). The other two are being RMA'd. Replaced the hard drives and both computers work great! It was the EXACT problem you are describing. It could definitely be overheating as well tho. Check your BIOS or use SpeedFan and see what temps your computer is at.

It could also be a RAM issue.

First thing that should have been posted was to disable almost everything is msconfig

Go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup and click disable all.

Then go to Do a search for msconfig cleanup and run it, click select all and remove then reboot.

See if your problem still persists.

If it does or doesnt, download hijack this! 1.99 and post your log

Warez Monster said:
First thing that should have been posted was to disable almost everything is msconfig

Go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup and click disable all.

smart thinking...

bootup/spontaneous reset problems

dear all,
thanx for your responses. I tried disabling everything in startup (msconfig), but this did not resolve this issue. I also tried a spyware/adware remover which also didn't fix this problem. I don't think the system is overheating as the problem only occurs when I am booting up and trying to get into Windows, but once I am in Windows there doesn't seem to be any problems. But I will download a windows temperature monitoring utility and check this possibility. I have run hijack this as some of you guys suggested and attached the resultant log file. I would appreciate any further feedback you guys could give.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 29
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom