XP Home question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Long story short...

I reformatted and windows rejected me from going back in after restarting the computer unless I registered windows right then. The key I had wouldn't work, so I called microsoft. I figured this was because it was as if I was trying to register the key twice, which I would assume it wouldn't allow.

So they had me read them off the installation ID, which is like 8 blocks of 6 digit numbers... fricken long string. So then they gave me a new installation ID and I was all set.

I sorta forgot something. The family pc is running off of the same xp cd, and was installed under the previous installation ID. What does this mean? If the family pc would need reformatted for any reason, am I out of luck? Or what? Just not entirely sure what my options are now...

So your question is that you have the same os running on both machines, so you are wondering if you need to do another install, will the cd key work?

The answer is as simple as this, YES. As long as the cd key is only on the 2 computers. Most XP OEM and Retails will alow as many as 2 pc to be on a single version of windows.

PhillipBelcher said:
So your question is that you have the same os running on both machines, so you are wondering if you need to do another install, will the cd key work?

The answer is as simple as this, YES. As long as the cd key is only on the 2 computers. Most XP OEM and Retails will alow as many as 2 pc to be on a single version of windows.

Heh...........

I should of included my old gateway that has windows installed, shouldn't I?

It's my old pc, it's going to be used by my little brothers so they can stop hogging up the family pc that my parents normally use. But it does have windows... at least it will, the drives were formatted today........ Yes, same CD too... (that makes the PC count up to 3)

Well, shit... What do you folks suggest I do? Isn't anyway to twist an arm and have it run efficiently on all 3 systems, is there?

PhillipBelcher said:
you should be ok to run on all three.....just call them up and say your doing a reinstall

What creeped me out is I said "Oh cool, I see the welcome screen now..."

The microsoft rep said "Yep, I see ya online now." At least I think he said that... can he see that I'm using XP and all? I almost wanted to run upstairs and shut down the PC so they didn't know the upstairs PC had the same exact XP copy on it...

So... to solve my problem, I just keep calling when I gotta format and say yo I'm doing a reinstall, it's not working, blah blah... do I just TELL them I'm using the same exact machine over and over, when I'm really not?

Someone told me you could buy XP CD Keys from microsoft for 10 dollars. I wouldn't mind having a designated key for each PC if that's what I need to do... but spending 300 bucks for three copies of XP for each PC is ridiculous...

I know you can buy licenses for all your computers, but I think they are more than 10 dollars each.
As for microsoft's encounter with your computer, my guess is that it was either a bluff or a joke. From what ive read, I get the impression that you were not even online when he/she said they can see you.

dnoch said:
I know you can buy licenses for all your computers, but I think they are more than 10 dollars each.
As for microsoft's encounter with your computer, my guess is that it was either a bluff or a joke. From what ive read, I get the impression that you were not even online when he/she said they can see you.

If I had the ethernet cord plugged into the lan slot on the tower, could he of seen me? I have cable connection... I was on the internet downloading drivers and talking on AIM while some of the larger files downloaded, then when I restarted this goofed up.

I mean I might be wrong, it didn't phase me until after I got off the phone. He could of said something like "Alright, you're looking good then" (in relation to the fact I said Oh I see the welcome screen!)

It had to be a joke.
If your computer wasnt connected to the net, they would have had no way to find out you had logged in.
I think :p lol
Anyway, im pretty sure they allow you to use it in upto 3 computers in 1 household, as long as it isnt used for commercial stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom