Burnt out Floppy Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cssadmin

Baseband Member
Hi,
The other day, I was upgrading my computer, and I was looking through my old hardware and found a floppy drive. Because the wires from the power supply in my case were kind of unorganized and messy, I decided to clean them up by trying to connect multipule hardware with as little wire from the powersupply as I could, so that I could wrap up the unused ones somewhere else. (For example, instead of connecting one harddrive to one powersupply "wire", I connected a case fan, the harddisk, and floppy disk...I hope you understand what I mean.) However, when I booted up the computer, the Floppy Disk burnt up, and I had to reset the CMOS in order to get the computer up and running again. Do you think the floppy drive burnt out because it was bad? Or is connecting multiple hardware on one powersupply line not the proper way of doing things? I'd like to know because if it was the floppy drive, I want to rearrange the wires again so that air will flow better through my case.

Thanks.

Oh yeah and by the way, I have a 400 W Powersupply with minimal hardware so WATTS and Voltage shouldn't be a problem.
The Powersupply came with the NZXT Guardian Case.

Thanks for the response.
Another thing I'd like to add is that when I first connected this floppy drive, my computer didn't turn on. I had to do keep trying to turn it on until finally it did (I don't remember how I did it). But that's when the Floppy Drive started making sparks and burnt out. Also, if it was the floppy drive's fault, why did I have to reset the CMOS in order to get my computer to work again? One last thing, now that I remember, my floppy drive had something wrong with it. That's why it was in my closet and unused. But would that cause the burning?
Thanks

I think the reason you had to reset the CMOS/BIOS is because it still thought you had a floppy drive installed and couldnt see that it was missing. And the PSU probably had a short curcit protection built in which made it harder to turn the computer on to protect it.

Thanks.
So it is OK to connect mulitple hardware on one powersupply line? I'd just like to clear that up because you never really directly answered it.

This is the last question!
Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom