Hello everyone, problem with microsoft programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stangeroo

Baseband Member
Ok, I have a couple month old laptop with XP. When I open works word processor a box comes up and says it has occured an error and needs to close, and it asks if I want to send an error report. The other works programs work fine. Also, when I go to MS paint and go to Page Setup the same box comes up. Someone on another messageboard said it got corrupted somehow and I need to use the cds that came with the laptop and re install everything. Any of you have any other ideas.

Today I downloaded the most current Norton antivirus definitions and ran it, nothing. Also I defragmented it and that didn't fix it either, however it was more fragmented than I had expected.
Plz help:confused:

Placebo said:
I would have suggested the exact same thing...a restore of whatever fails to work.

And does Microsoft ever do anything with those error reports...? :confused:
i doubt it:angry: , Guess Ill do the restore, I kinda dont want to though, because then I will have to re do the network and printers, and re install some programs

Ok, I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows XP and the programs on the restore disks. Works worked for a few weeks but now is doing the same thing. Any thoughts, I have not installed any other programs and the laptop is hardly ever on the internet. The only thing i have really done is networked it to my other computer
PLZ HELP

Does it workk fine when u disconnect it from the other system ?

Is the other system free of Virus's etc..

N' does this happen when u try workin' on a file from the other machine ..or does this happen all the time

One last thing .. Have u tried using the laptop without the Pcmcia card?

the laptop doesnt have any pcmcia cards. And works doesnt open at all, from the start menu or from a file. It does not work when it is disconnected from the other computer, and I have not tried it when they are connected, any ideas.:confused:

Was it workin' even after u networked the systems .. or did it stop workin' right after u networked them ... ?

N' also what version of works is it??

Good thoughts all around!

I would ask if "WORKS" came with the laptop,, as I am unable to find a laptop selling with XP and WORKS? If this is an older version of Works, then I bet it is that incompatibility issue again,,

Office 97 PRO , also has a bug when on XP,, read only files appear,, but that is another issue,,

What version of WORKS do you have?? That is key info for the solve on this,,

Plus,, the SEND ERROR REPORT does work,, however, the method in which it works is obscure,, so people always say DONT SEND,, and the reason,, PARANOIA!!!

Now I am not saying that you shouldnt be paranoid,, as we all know that BIG BROTHER is watching,,, (just watch the ruling with regards to the RIAA and the right to know whom is whom on the internet!!! YIKES!)

Any way ,, the error reporting works by the volume of problems received that are of a similar nature,, then someone will work on a fix to the issue based on the volume of the issue.. in other words ,, if everyone sent the error reports in,, there would be a clearer representation of what issues are HUGE,, and need attention,, by not sending it in,, the issue is NEVER addressed,,

I work in a Corporation,, where I always send the report,, (mostly cuz it aint my machine, or IP ),, and I have had several fixes sent back to me by this automated system..

cheers

it has windows XP home. Also Works 7.0. Works came with it and is on the same CDs that XP is on to reinstall it. And it did work after I networked them. I have sent the error report a couple times but it seems like I would have to send it eleventy billion times to have them fix it. I am starting to think I might return the laptop and trade it for another one of the same kind. Its still under warrenty, any ideas:confused:

whooooooo hoooooooooo

i figured out what did it. It was the printer I had networked to the computer. I had it setup where I could connect the laptop to the PC, and hit print and the printer hooked up to the PC would print it. I deleted the printer and now works works, same with paint. Anyone know how the printer would do that though, and how I should renetwork the printer. BTW it is an HP2200 series printer/flatbed scanner/photocoppier if that matters.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom