xp professional upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
i have xp home sp2 on my new system and finally found my xp pro cd (it was in my old mobo box). The only problem is it won't upgrade because it says that i have a newer version of windows than what that comes with. This is "xp pro corporate v5.1 build 2600". and when i make it boot from a cd, the cd spins and all but then it loads up xp home as if nothing happened.

why can't i install it?

system (if it matters)
asus A8N-SLI premium
Athlon X2 4200+
2 gigs corsair twinx (dual channel)
wd200js please click here
NEC dvd/cd dual side burner
600w SLI psu
256mb SLI (one right now) 6800gt leadtek
creative audigy 2 zs
all in a thermaltake V8000SWA

you cant do it that way, u basically need to reformat.. but if u want to keep your files.. download Partition Magic> creat a 2nd partition >copy the files u need to keep onto the 2nd one> boot the computer off the CD and delete the partition without the files on it and install windows.

It most likly isnt installing because u updated to SP2, and SP2 must be recognised as a later version then XP Pro.

i got the program but how do i make it work? i hit "apply changes" and it all goes back to normal. I think i just want to start all the way over with my hd. anyway i can just delete everything on it?

i think u need to buy partition magic top be able to use it, the trial only lets u mess around wiht options, then when it comes to saving ur changes, it wont let u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom