Ouch. I just ordered a PCI-E Graphic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzy

Baseband Member
And have just now realized my slot is a PCI, not express.

The Graphic Card was an eVGA Ge-Force 6600 GT, and I have yet to find a "PCI" version (other than the PCI-E version, of course).

Is there such a version? If not, what are some graphic cards that are as good if not better than the card that I just bought and that are compatible with my motherboard?

Thanks.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I've now checked, and most PCI graphic cards are out of date. I think the best thing I can do right now is buy a new motherboard. Any suggestions?

you wont find a PCI version of a 6600GT, it doesn't exist.

I'd be highly surprised if there was one, but yeah, wouldn't count on it.

As far as PCI is concerned you wont find a card thats anywhere near as good as that one...not only is PCI crappy for graphics cards, but they aren't really up to date compared to AGP and now PCI-E

No I am sure of it, there isn't a PCI version of the 6600GT. So what do you plan on doing with that card?

Either return the card, or buy a new motherboard as this one seems to be out of date, I suppose.

Suggestions (for a new motherboard.)?

Even if there was a PCI 7800 GTX, the bandwith you get with PCI utterly sucks. I'd build a new computer if you are a gamer, because you can't game with a PCI slot. I've tried it, using a 9200 SE, and it crapped out on Battlefield Vietnam.

Edit: 2000th post!

The higher speeds on PCI Express allow it to replace almost all existing internal buses, including AGP and PCI, and Intel envisions a single PCI Express controller talking to all external devices, as opposed to the northbridge/southbridge solution in current machines.

Ehh, so I thought PCI-E was better than AGP slots?

But anyway, my family has been talking about getting another computer.. actually a new notebook, but I might be able to persuade them into getting another desktop.

But I doubt I can get anything decent on an 800 dollar budget? (Minus the graphic card..since I already bought that.)

Actually, you can do a lot with $800. Since you've already got the video card...

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
2 gigs of Value RAM
Antec ATX 2.0 PSU
120 gig hard drive
NEC 3540A optical drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom