uninstall XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

screwy

Solid State Member
Hi,

Awhile back on an old PC I kept getting stop error's.
I tried to understand how to fix it, but I ended up doing somthing maybe I should'nt have.

I never made XP cd's on the said PC so I used the ones I made for this PC. I'm sure this is against the tos for ms, but I was a little upset that for no reason another copy that I paid for stopped working. I wasnt able to try and uninstall the nonworking xp, and wasnt sure how to implement only a few broken files. I just popped in the CD's and I'm pretty sure chose the repair option :( .

Wala...the PC runs fine. Or it did. even though It has a different PC brand logos among other stuff.... Now I'm locked out due to the windows registration BS. I dont want to be online with a bogus copy of windows installed, How can I uninstall this?
And if I can will I be able to recover the original copy of XP from the system?

if I read this right, you need to legaly activate it...

look on the side of the computer for a holographic sticker, it will have your legal product key on it, use that to activate windows...

the thing is, its one copy of windows installed on two different PC's. I just wanted to see if the PC would work,
as I understand it, you can only have one copy of windows for each PC right?

I'm not at all trying to pirate anything, was just trying to fix corrupted files. Can I recover the original copy from the "fixed" pc

when I try to do a recovery now it askes for the cd's I used from this copy of windows.

(add) also, to what you mention. My new PC has the sticker on the side with product keys, but the old one (wich I used, recovery disks from new PC) was an oem and doesnt have sticker, and had trouble obtaining a product key for the os.

sorry if confusing, thanks for reply.

well if you already illegally have the copy on both you already broke tos anyway haha so you might as well keep it

If the same copy is on both machines you broke the rules and your cd key is then "supposed" to be sent to MS on activation to be added to the blacklist of CD keys.

I dont beleive that. I have 5 pcs using the same XP key, for 4 years now, and I still use them.

hey all, thanks alot for the insight.

a correction on my part: I do in fact have both product keys. I swore there was no sticker on my old oem machine.

so to clarify, I used repair discs from this PC, on another PC.
can I activate windows with the other product key or will I need to use this one?

somthing id like to know is.
If somehow I can uninstall the new installed copy of XP, and recover the original?

not unless you did a repair and didn't format, or if you have the original disks for that machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom