memtest problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbcirclepants

In Runtime
Im posting this topic here becuz u guys must test hardware often....i downloaded memtest86+ v.1.65 @ http://www.memtest.org/

I tried to make a bootable floppy, and i changed my Bios to boot from floppy first....BUT did it boot from floppy?? F no...im wondering if it dont reconize the floppy as a bootable floppy....coluld u guys tell me EXACTLY wich file to download at http://www.memtest.org/ AND TELL ME eXaCtLy how to set it up to use? I would also agree with Using a cd, but i coldnt get that to work either. NOTE there are several diff files:

** Memtest86+ V1.65 (10/01/2005) **

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.gz)
Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable Binary (.zip)

Download - Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)

Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

six to be exact....WHICH ONE AND HOW DO I make the floppy/cd a startup disk??? thanx ahead

Download the Last one, Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)

You will have a Zip file, what I did was create a folder somewhere, desktop works, called memtest, unzip all the files to it(shold be 4 i think), then put a floppy in the floppy drive, then in the folder you made it makes a folder called floppy, open it, you will see the 4 files, double click the one named 'install', it will bring up a DOS looking window which asks you to type the letter of your floppy drive, which is most likely A, so type a and hit enter, then it says put a formated floppy in, do so if you havnt already and then hit enter, then you hear the floppy drive goin for a few seconds while it copies the stuff, then it tells you to start from the floppy disk reboot your computer and press any key to exit or somethin, which takes you back to windows.

So if you do all that and have your BIOS set to boot from floppy first, it should work fine.

Heres a quote from their README on how to install:
For Windows, unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest, insert a blank floppy into your a: disk drive and run the install.bat file. As the install prompts you, to use memtest directly, leave the disk in the drive and reboot your machine.

How were you setting up the floppy disk before? Were you doing it like how I and the Readme says? Or were you just trying to unzip the file to a floppy and boot from that?

Ok, my floppy drive is screwwed up....could u do as good of a job explaining how to do it for a cd as u did for a floppy? thanx
make sure u tell me witch to downL

use a CD burning suite like nero, select that you want a bootable CD, it is going to ask for a bootable image, select that .img file that is zipped in that memtest ZIP file......

WHICH 1 do u download, and i use windows xp copy to cd, not a burning suite, so how do u set that up also?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom