Do mobos have built in thermal shutdown protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayce said:
MSI K8N Neo4

The other thing is, my system didn't shut off... so I never reached 160F...

Just because it didn't shut off doesn't mean it didn't get that hot. The temperature sensor doesn't actually touch the CPU and it takes a while for the air temperature to increase.

Jayce said:
MSI K8N Neo4

The other thing is, my system didn't shut off... so I never reached 160F...

I think that the motherboard just cuts power to the CPU and kinda goes into a stand by mode where the fans are still on....... Because i had a machine over heat like that and it didnt completly shut down, just black screen....... Also AMD Athlon 64 chips are supposed to fry at 80C which is like 176F......

PZEROFGH said:
o hurry up and get your darn thermal compound

I did. It works.

I just put half of a pea sized dab in the center of the cpu, dropped in the heat sink and tried to clip it. I took the heat sink out after dropping it in just to make sure I didn't have any of the compound running over the edges. It was a nice smooth circle splat in the center, not too close to edges but close enough that I know I'm getting a pretty good contact.

Installing drivers now. BORRRRRRRRRRRRRING.

So far, but 565 dollars, I'm OVERLY impressed. :)

PZEROFGH said:
hows the temps?

It's been hanging out at 35C. I've seen it at 34C too at one point.

This is assuming I use the PC for a while, 20 min, half hour, etc... then I restart into bios and check it out quick. I don't know if you would consider that idle considering the amount of time I was on it before, but meh. That's what I found out.

What's the name of that program that allows me to check the cpu temp within windows without going into bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom