AMD advertising is not right!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
AMD never tells what the clock speed of the processor is. They go like 2500+ because they think it runs like a 2.5Ghz Pentium 4. But wait a minute, clock speed is not the only thing that matters. Let's say that you have a Pentium 4 2.5Ghz 1GB of DDR RAM, 800MHZ BUS speed, 1024 cache speed. Then you take a Pentium 4 2.5Ghz 128 RAM, 266mhz BUS, and 128 cache. They are both 2.5 ghz computers but they don't run the same. If you had these 2 computers and an AMD 2500+, which one will you compare it to? My point is that AMD judges Pentiums by the clock speed, so if I want to buy a computer I don't know if it is AMD or P4 because I don't know which one is faster since that 2500+ doesn't tell me how fast it performs. :angry:

Well, the name is just a performance quirk that they use to let you that if these two processors were in alike systems, how it would perform. This is how they test them. They throw a P4 3.0 GHz in the same system as the AMD XP 3000+ (for example) and then they test the performance with a lot of different hardware pieces. The run many different benchmark applications that try the level of the processors performance. They tell you right on the datasheet how fast the processor runs. (2.172 GHz for the 3000+ for example). You're absolutely right....speed isn't everything. Thats why they advertise a comparisson in the processor's name (AMD Athlon XP 3000+ instead of AMD Athlon XP 2.2 GHz). They want to make it clear that speed isn't everything.

-Mike

so if I see a 2500+ xp with 266 fsb, 266 ddr speed, 256 cache and a p4 2.5ghz 400fsb, 400 ddr speed, and 256 cache it would be easy to tell that the pentium 4 is faster right?

no in that i'd go with the 2500+. Intel has high clock speeds with basically the same fsb as amds but quad pumped hence making it over 2 x amds fsb speeds. But design now adays is the main feture, Because take the 3000+ vs the 3ghz 800 fsb intel 512 die cache. there roughly about the same but wait a second the amd has less fsb and less clock speeds what makes up for that=Design. benchmarks are meaningless

intel does the same.....it is simple marketing most people assume that the only thing that matters is the ghz of a computer so they look for the one with the highest ghz and get that one. That dosent represent performance either and thats why amd puts its 3200+ to represent that that is the closest thing to a 3.2 chip. Though it dosent tell you the whole story it is for the mass majority of people who dont know what the difference is between the 2 chips and what too loke for in chips it tells enough of the story

Most of the time when u get a complete system like dell it comes with a pentium.

AMD's are more widely used by pc builders and if you know enough about computers to build one, you obviously will know that Barton 2500+ is not 2.5 but 1.83.

2500+ is just a marketing device used by AMD to show that this particular model performs like pentium 2.5 ghz

Yeah amd all the way if ur still sceptical get an amd machine with that type of rating and run a hot cpu test (yahoo search) and run it i ran mine over clocked and it told me i hade a 3.0 considering my clock speed is only 2.2 amd is awsome cheap and the best for gamming pentium is just massivly exspencive for no resone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom