firefox still the way to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macdawg

Daemon Poster
I have firefox on both of my PC's but I still get the occasional tracking cookie or other spyware found by adaware and spybot, I was pretty surprised because I'm pretty safe online and using firefox, is firefox starting to have vulnerabilities like internet explorer did?

Nothing is perfect. Remember that.

But Firefox (and Opera, etc.) will always be better than IE because it is patched up faster than IE. And remember, since IE is embedded in the kernel, and you used it, you can still get malware some time later. Just the fact that IE is embedded into the kernel makes me wary of it :confused:

Definately stick with firefox. With IE you'll get a ton of tracking tcookies in no time. Plus they're working on a new version of FF.

Word to PBond definately go with Mozilla. IE doesn't even compete. Plus you get more frequent updates as Bond stated. No 6 months waiting period between updates. And you don't get all those annoying auto broswer security updates that mic. issues to IE 6.

I must speak from experiance, Mozilla is the way to go, over IE, for previous stated reasons. However if you are on a large network with microsoft Active Directory, i would say stay with IE. Mozilla has problems sometime with the Group Policy Objects(GPO). Otherwise deffinetly go with mozilla!

Phil

ya, definatly Mozilla,

mostly for the reasons stated above. Also, it isn't Microsoft :D anything is better than what MS could put out.

BSill said:
No 6 months waiting period between updates.

that use to be 2 years. IE Lovers trash FF. But IE is a better browser now because of FF. IE didn't care about patches and fixes until people left them for a better alternative.

use supplementary protection - Firefox alone is cleaner than IE, yes. Firefox with Spywareblaster loaded, and AdBlock installed and configured is virtually impregnable.

I scan for spyware/adware/tracking cookies on my own machine using the above about once every 3-4 months... only once have I found one.

comparitively, when I scan for them on computers that use IE, I typically find between 200 and 2,000 infections.
If they use Outlook Express as well, I can expect double that, as well as a significant number of viral infections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom