Is this a good computer to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeOfTheParty2

Beta member
I am a poor college student who wants to play counter-strike source, I have played CS the original for years and feel its time to upgrade to source. so my question is would this be the good start as a barebones system to get me going

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1224137&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

as I said in the earlier I am a poor college student, this computer fits in my budget I just want a computer that will play source with no problem and that I can upgrade over time as I get the money. any help would be appreciated

incase you were wondering the specs on my current PC is

800 Mhz PIII
40 Gig HD
512 RAM
ATI 7500 ALL-IN-WONDER 64 Meg graphics card
Windows XP

so as you can see I cant just upgrade the comp I have now

I can sympathize with the poor side of it. Been there, done that. Nothing wrong with the barebones you've picked out, but I'll give you a word of warning (or two).

One, I hope you don't expect to actually get the rebate offered by Tiger Direct. Too many people on these forums have been screwed by them (well, by the company that does their rebates, anyway). If you can't afford it without the rebate, then don't get it.

Two, make sure that your RAM will transfer over. I figure that you're going to strip your old system to make the new one (it's what I would do). Since your current system is a P3, it's RAM may not be a current type. Plus, it is probably really slow RAM to boot.

Three, you will have to reinstall XP when you fire the new computer up. XP takes a snapshot of your system specs when you install it, and updates it when things change. If you take your hard drive and slap it into the other rig, XP will not boot, as it will see that it is not the computer it was installed in.

Not trying to dissuade you, but inform you.

You're probably going to need PC 2700 or PC 3200 ram in the new box. I know most P3's take PC 133 or PC 100. You're gonna need some ram, so that's a cost you gotta figure...

Are there any more complete barebones kits? Maybe it would be economical to throw one together yourself. Do so math and really shop around for the parts you think you want.

Ryan

socket 939 really bumps up the price w/ motherboards mostly. The XP is just plain affordable at this point. I would encourage him to set up socket A. It doesn't matter how old it is. What matters is that he can run the applications he wants.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom