Broadband Internet Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you live in SBC territory, you could get DSL for $26.95/month if you sign up by the 31st (though it's a 1-year contract). From my experience, drop-outs are almost non-existent (at least for now), and I am able to get about 85-88% of the advertised speed.

Look for companies that offer broadband in a "lite" package. My ISP offers a "bronze" cable package that is cheaper that the "gold" package ... $24 Canadian dollars - $19 US dollars compared to Gold, which is $42 CAD - 32 USD.

These packages limit the bandwidth/traffic per month, but thats why they are cheaper.

You may want to check out Yahoo SBC. They are pretty cheap, especially for the first year, then the price goes up, but not as much as some of the other ones.

I had DSL for a couple of years. I hated it. It kept going down and there were always problems with speed. Sometimes it would slow down to slower than a dial up... the POS.

I "upgraded" to cable a couple years back and I am as happy as can be. I haven't gone down ONE time. The only thing I've ever had to do is reset my router like once or twice in time I've had it. This is mega nice. Plus the speed is much faster on my Cable line too. I averaged 600 down and 110 up when my DSL decided to work. The closer you are to the main hub, the fast you'll be up to 1.5. My cable is ALWAYS 1.5 and my up is 330. Can I get a woot?!

Of course, I'm paying about $10 more a month for the cable because I don't have tv service through them too. (lame) But it's still worth it to me.

Well it's been my experience that cable is far superior than dsl. ESPECIALLY when it's a company like Earthlink and they don't actually own the lines. Everytime there is a problem with the lines, they have to go through SBC to get it worked out.

My down and up speeds are advertised at 1500 down and 300 up. However, I get even a bit faster than that too.

DSL reports shows 1.9 down and 330 up. Depending on the site I down load from, I can get up to about 220 - 250k/sec.

When I had Comcast, I was at a consistent 1.9M/350K, but it is extremely pricey after the deal expires ($42.95/mo for cable TV subscribers and $56.95/mo for those who don't subscribe to cable TV.). I have no idea if it is still going, but they did have a $20/month for 3-6 months deal.

Yes, comcast is a bit pricy. I pay about $60 for it because I also rent their modem. BUT, it's totally worth it for me. I was so disgusted by the poor performace of DSL. I'm not talking about just speeds, I'm talking about the 1 hour waits for tech support and the service always going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom