10 seconds, AMD processor, no heat sync, how bad could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that some of the AMD's come with some sort of cover on them that melts or something when it's turned on so that way you don't need thermal compound. I know that mine I am on now (s754) did, but I am not sure what it is.

Nubius said:
thermal paste only makes better heat transfer, it doesn't glue it to anything permanently.

More than likely they'll ask simply for the CPU to be returned.

Okay, clarify something for me then...

Thermal paste = better heat transfer.
CPU turned on = high amount of heat.
Thermal paste = aid to that high amount of heat.

Can 10 seconds really be that deadly? I figured it was like a hard drive or something, heated up after it's been on for a while... that's why I didn't see how 10 seconds could hurt it, but someone I was talking to on aim was like hmmm you might be in trouble.

Well, I'll still get the thermal compound tomorrow. And depending upon what results I see tomorrow and/or what responses I get here I may hit up AMD tomorrow afternoon.

apokalipse said:
well, does it actually work or not?
the only way to know is test it

Long story short (sorta).

I had no thermal paste and did not expect to get the PC running that day. In fact the PC wasn't supposed to even be here until Thursday, so since I was a day ahead of time I wanted to take my time even more at getting this right.

I read online all you need to test the PC is the ram, graphics card, mobo, psu and cpu. I had all of that in + the CD drives, so I figured I'd boot it up to make sure all of the lights lit up, etc.

I didn't put the heat sync on because I was afraid it would hurt it to not have the thermal compound. Since I wasn't going to be using the computer heavily (I just wanted to make sure all of the parts got power) then I figured it would be okay.

So, I have no idea whether or works or not, I won't know until tomorrow when I pick up the compound. For now I'm just trying to get an idea of whether I should return it regardless of whether it works. I don't want to keep using this if I shortened its life by 10 years or something, get my drift?

I figured I'd add this. When I went to get an RMA for the processor it told me I had to go through the manufacturer. Then I read the return policy and saw I was still eligible considering the processor has been in my possession for about 16 hours now. Now, when they say MUST BE RETURNED WITHIN SEVEN DAYS OF INVOICE DATE, what is the invoice? Does that mean the day I ordered it? The day I received it? Can someone clarify?

Just for reference, this is straight from newegg.com:

Money Back Guarantee/Refund policy
All merchandise unless otherwise indicated may be returned within 30 days from the original invoice date for a refund. CPUs must be returned within 7 days from the invoice date for a refund. A return authorization number is required for all returns. A 15% restocking fee may apply. Additional deductions may be made for CPUs returns to reflect the current market value. These terms apply to all refunds. All products are shipped with a repair/replacement warranty period. Customers must inform Newegg.com of any order discrepancy within 7 days from the invoice date so that we may investigate and resolve the situation accordingly.

Newegg.com SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - Newegg.com offers our customers a 30-day satisfaction replacement or refund guarantee on all purchases, except:

7-day replacement or refund guarantee on all CPUs, including refurbished processors. All other refurbished merchandise has a 15 day warranty period.
Note: For CPU, base cost will reflect current market price, and 15% restocking fee will apply after this adjustment. This amount will be subtracted from the total refund.
Downloadable software is non-refundable.

Okay, clarify something for me then...

Thermal paste = better heat transfer.
CPU turned on = high amount of heat.
Thermal paste = aid to that high amount of heat.

Ok.....'better heat transfer' means between the CPU and the heatsink...the CPU and the heatsinks bottom aren't perfectly flat...theres microscopic grooves and channels in them...thermal paste fills those grooves to make better transfer between the CPU and the heatsink on top of it.

As I said earlier 1 second can kill a CPU muchless 10 seconds...I think you fail to realize just how hot they get pretty much instantly...if you were to turn on your computer and instantly go into the BIOS which can be about 10 seconds and check your temperatures...(depending on the chip) it will already be at 35C(95F) - 45C(113F) and that's WITH your heatsink and fan on.....mine is a water cooled venice and it hits around 30C(86F)...ok...this is within a matter of seconds...now imagine this without any sort of cooling and it's hitting the 93C+(200F+) range within those seconds....that = fried chip

Invoice = day you purchased it...ya know that thing they say PRINT THIS OUT FOR RECORDS...that'd be your invoice

Nubius said:
Ok.....'better heat transfer' means between the CPU and the heatsink...the CPU and the heatsinks bottom aren't perfectly flat...theres microscopic grooves and channels in them...thermal paste fills those grooves to make better transfer between the CPU and the heatsink on top of it.

As I said earlier 1 second can kill a CPU muchless 10 seconds...I think you fail to realize just how hot they get pretty much instantly...if you were to turn on your computer and instantly go into the BIOS which can be about 10 seconds and check your temperatures...(depending on the chip) it will already be at 35C(95F) - 45C(113F) and that's WITH your heatsink and fan on.....mine is a water cooled venice and it hits around 30C(86F)...ok...this is within a matter of seconds...now imagine this without any sort of cooling and it's hitting the 93C+(200F+) range within those seconds....that = fried chip

Invoice = day you purchased it...ya know that thing they say PRINT THIS OUT FOR RECORDS...that'd be your invoice

Printed it out + they sent me a copy in one of the 3 boxes I got with the items.

Looks like I'm making a call this afternoon.

MAN I CANT STOP GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES!

I spoke to my cousin who's nothing short of a genius with building computers. He does it for a living + does a lot of networking jobs. He asked what mobo, cpu, etc I was running. I told him. Here I have the exact same CPU and exact same motherboard he is running in his system.

He explained to me that that particular motherboard had a built in thermal control setup in the bios. Apparently the thermal shutdown was set by default from manufacturer to 160*F. He said you can adjust that later in the bios, but out of default it's 160. He explained to me even if it shut down, I SHOULD be in good shape because the motherboard would of said "It's gettin hott in hurr, so take off all your---..." Well you get the idea.

More or less, he said even if it shut off, I would of been okay. But nothing will prove it unless it boots up with the heat sync + thermal jobby stuff attached. We'll find out later!

Just figured I'd add what I found out for discussion reasons. Time for bed!

yeah most (if not all) newer motherboards especially have thermal shut downs, but you could just save yourself a lot of trouble and time if you'd just put the heatsink on the CPU and try booting up the system and letting us know how it goes.

In the case with absolutely no heatsink though, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets well over that shutdown temp before the motherboard has time to react, but meh, like we said only way to find out is try it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom