Upgrading my Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobel

Beta member
Greetings Tech Forums :)

I am looking to buy a new Graphics card soon. The card needs to be AGP, and my budget is 2000 kr. (Translates to about 320 US Dollars)

I've been looking around on my own, and have found a few cards, and it seems that i can get a decent GeForce 6800 Card for my money.

The cards with 128 MB rams are cheaper than the 256 RAM cards, but what does the RAM mean for performance?

I noticed that the RAM on the 256 cards are "GDDR" and the RAM on the 128 cards are just "DDR"

What is the difference?

I would also appriciate if anyone could give me some pointers on Radeon cards since i have always been using nVidias GeForce cards.

Thank you in advance.

Rasmus Juhl

GeForce 6800 will be great. With Pixel shader 3.0 and all. Im not sure about the types of card RAM but a 256MB card will obviously perform best. However, as far as i know there is no game currently out that utilises the full 256MB in your card. Ither should perform great.

Over all, its wich one you can get the best deal on id say. But what do i know, im a Noob

For 320 USD, you can 6800GT, which is the best AGP card you can get for ur cash right now. However, if you wait a bit longer, chances are 7800GT will come out on AGP, and for about 50 bucks more, it blows 6800GT outta the water :)

I'm not sure that Nvidia will release the 7800GT on AGP, as they are mainly focusing on the whole PCI-E, SLI concept, AGP should and probably will soon become extinct as manufacturers like ATI and Nvidia will only spend their money on making PCI Express gfx cards as noone will really be buying the AGP ones, therefore it becomes a waste of money.

Because really if you think about it, the only people who will be buying the 7800GT's are extreme gamers and extreme gamers usually want the best performance out of their gfx cards as possible. And because PCI-E betters over AGP... well the rest is self-explanitory.

6800 GT really isn't bang for the buck right now. I would go for a 6800 regular or just upgrade your whole system and get a 7800 GT or GTX.

Its amazing how both ATI and Nvidia have basically said "f*ck you" to everybody who bought the NV40 and R420 when they came out in 2004 just to push the whole SLI concept which is stupid to begin with. Its really just an excuse to be lazy.

6800GT, eVGA im not sure if you can get that in sweden, go for Leadtek.

Btw all, eVGA is more american.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom