10 seconds, AMD processor, no heat sync, how bad could it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I turned on the tower to make sure everything got power, completely forgot to have the heat sync on. It was about 8 seconds and I turned it off. Then I realized I forgot the heat sync.

The CPU to the touch wasn't that hot at all, but I kinda thought "sh*t, maybe I should double check."

So here I am, cause I have no idea if it was a bad thing or not.

Yeah, of course its bad, you can fry a chip without having any cooling. Put the HS on it and boot up, if it works, I would say your in the clear. If it doesn't, then you know why.

SHAWN said:
Yeah, of course its bad, you can fry a chip without having any cooling. Put the HS on it and boot up, if it works, I would say your in the clear. If it doesn't, then you know why.

I didn't get any thermal paste with the package as I thought I would. I just wanted to make sure the fans and lights were getting power. The thermal paste has to wait until tomorrow.

It wasn't hot to the touch. I mean it was warm but it wasn't anything that bad, at least in my opinion. Could the heat of the CPU to the touch be a dictator in whether I caused any damage?

AKA, do you think I royally fked up?

ok the second the cpu is of it goes cold i know because i got bored and put my finger on a p3 core burned the hell out of my finger i touched a second after i turned it of cool to the touch.
there is a good chance the cpu is fried intels have a sensor that prevents it from frying i dont know if amd has it though.

matt2m said:
ok the second the cpu is of it goes cold i know because i got bored and put my finger on a p3 core burned the hell out of my finger i touched a second after i turned it of cool to the touch.
there is a good chance the cpu is fried intels have a sensor that prevents it from frying i dont know if amd has it though.

You're telling me literally 10 seconds of being turned on causing low heat to this CPU could fry it?

Well, ****.

I guess I'm out 150 bucks then. This thing wouldn't be covered by warranty or returnable, would it?

if a p3 got hot enough in 1 sec to burn the hell out of my finger and a new cpu like yours yup it is prolly gone dont dive up hope though try it with the heatsink.Listen it is not low heat though i had a nasty square mark on my finger 4 a bit.

macdude425 said:
Try it with the heatsink first. If it doesn't work, send it back and say it was that way :confused:

If it does work, is that to say I'm out of the clear? Or will it die in a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom