Grounding yourself out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottj017

Solid State Member
So I've finally ordered myself a gaming rig... yay.

But now to build the darn thing!

I've found numerous guides on the internet on how to build, great. But none of them really seem to go in-depth on the best ways to prevent damage (via Static electricity I think it is) from afflicting your computer.

So I'm asking you guys:

What's the best way to "ground yourself out"?
And what harm does it do if you're not adaquetly grounded out?

Please correct me if I'm using the wrong term or using it incorrectly.

you can use a wrist band or just touch/hold the metal case and that should do it.

Its basically so you don't give any circuit boards a little spark after rubbing your socks across the carpet.

its an "Anti Static" Wrist band, And its only like 5 bucks or so.
Honestly I have never used one, but people will probably yell at you, if you don't use one.

Sorry for asking so many questions... but I've never heard of this type of bracelet. Where might I be able to purchase one?

mmmm, Im pretty sure you can pick it up at like bestbuy, compusa, and places like that... might even have them at your local pc shop or chop shop.

Edit: Unless you just want to get it online... which you can pick up from almost anywhere if you google it.

ive never used one, and ive never had any problems. Then again, i am almost always touching the metal part of the case inadvertently anyway. Its prolly worth the $3 it'll cost you.

I have AS Wristbands but never use them. They are annoying.

Basically all you have to do is be smart, aware and careful of what you're doing when working with electronics. Most components will come in some type of antistatic material, like a bag or a plastic container. Use those materials as a base when letting your componets sit before you install them.

"DO NOT WEAR JUST SOCKS AND WORK ON CARPET" while handling electronics. Even though this may seem prety stupid, i've caught myself just wearing socks before and walking across my living room to grab another tool before working on my PC.

Two of the best ways to ground yourself would be:

Touch any metal portion of the case/chassis for a few seconds, do this everytime you pause or walk away and come back to the PC.

Touch any metal portion of the POWER SUPPLY if installed in the PC, do this everytime you pause or walk away and come back to the PC.

Follow these two rules and you'll never need a wrist strap or ever have to worry about ESD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom