Is it bad to always have the computer on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteblazer01

Baseband Member
I always leave my computer on. I am starting to wonder if it is bad for it. Should I turn it off when I sleep, or what is the least harmful thing? Or does it even matter? Thanks!

You can leave it on if you want to.
If its hot you can hurt things depending of couse on many variables.

You will notice that if you restart your machine every day you will have better performance.

Now this question you ask is opinion based. A lot of people will say conflicting things.

Edit: Btw, your sig is too big. ; )

WOW THAT WAS FAST!!!!

so other than heat issues, there is not much to worry about?
I will try and restart it everyday

Instablity is the 2nd reason however every machine is different.
You can have a machine that can handle being left on for weeks at a time. then you can have a machine next to it that runs like crap after 24 idle...

just depends also on what u do 4 the day installing and uninstalling crap and other things.
my system has been off but i hibernate it so it has technicaly been on for 2 weeks.

shit, my computer has been on for months at a time (with VERY FEW restarts). oops!

haha, i feel like the naive lady who goes to the mechanic to get her car fixed! you guys know I was a computer science major in college! what an education I got huh!

Restarting the machine every so often should be something that is done on a regular basis...stuff like your system memory and VRAM and cache will start to get fragmented with files...restarting the computer will clear all data from these components and basically refresh their overall performance

Keeping a computer also expands overall component life as turning a computer on and off will heat up and cool down the parts and thus constantly expand and contract the silicon

yea i usually keep my comp on overnight. there was a post on this a real long time ago like prob in march about this and i remember hearing that when u turn ur comp off, it makes ur processor really hot because it is hot but there is no fan running to cool it down. but i just leave mine on. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom