Still Cant Install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fujin

Beta member
two questions
1)
when i tried the d:\i386\winnt.exe ---> it worked BUT
when i got into the setup, it said i needed SMARTDRIVE to greatly improve the setup procedure.
so, i chose to ignore this recommendation, and continued with the setup. while the process of copying all system files to the hard drive was going on, it eventually just stopped on me. then my comp just sat there doing nothing.

i believe its because im not using smartdrive or it's disabled for some reason.

for whatever reason, my windowsXP setup just doesnt finish its job. Any suggestions?

I am working on my new AMD Athlon XP 2800+ that i just built.
Building it was painless and easy. but the process of installing windows xp is a pain. (I've never installed xp before, always worked with win98)

2)
Another thing is, i also tried to install windows 98, then install windows xp overtop of it. When i had win98 up, i put in the xp cd to install, but when the 1st step of the installation begins, it tells me that it has run into an error and that it's sorry for the inconvenience. it tells me to restart the program using another option and cancels the install procedure and brings me back to the main menu.
BUT THE CATCH IS, it doesnt give me any options to begin with...when i press Install Windows XP, it begins to check my hard drive or something...then the message pops up...

thanks for previous helpings, i am slowly getting my comp all setup with your helps

Here is some info about Smartdrv.exe. What you need to do is download the app from this site and then copy it to your floppy disk that you are using to boot. The Win98 bookdisk will have space to accomodate this file. After you boot and are ready to install XP, just type in "smartdrv" and then the drive letter right after "smartdrv". If you type in "smartdrv /?" it will give you the format of the command.

-Mike

http://www.broomeman.com/support/smartdrv.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom