hdd / mb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdf_warrior

Solid State Member
ok, i have 3 hard drives, an old 40gig ide, another old 13gig ide, and a 200gig sata

recently, was running windows normally and it all of a sudden started running extremely slow, and then just froze, i rebooted the machine, and got a disk boot failure error i believe is what it was, still had the 13 and 200 so i kept going and i ordered a new 160gig ide maxtor drive, within a week, before the new drive came in, the 13gig died too, or it appeared to, i havent fully checked them, wanted a new drive anyway, seemed like a godo excuse, but anyway, i have the 160gig and the 200gig drives now and i have only had the 160 for about a week or so, and i was in windows yesterday and hit the same problem, it seemed as if windows almost quit responding, finally rebooted, and disk boot failure.. but if i booted with an XP boot disk, it still reads the drive, so its not dead. i eventually, after alot of piddling with it, finally got it formatted and running, ghosted windows back to the drive, it ran all afternoon and night, woke up this mornin, looking at a disk boot failure message again. i've tried different ide cables, and tried swapping the drive from the primary ide channel to the secondary channel and still have the same result.

any ideas of whats going on? any ideas of something i can try to figure it out? i was thinking it could be the channel on the MB going bad, but its only a few months old, i just got it in like january.. someone else suggested a power supply issue, it not being strong enough to run everything, but it was running before with 3 drives and 2 cdroms and everything else, since all this started happening, ive been running 1 hdd and 1 cdrom and still have the same problem.. and i dont particularly want to buy a new motherboard if thats not the problem, because if i do i might as well upgrade and get one with pci-e, which in turns means i'd be buying a new video card as well

What power supply do you have?

When the problem occurs, does everything happen automatically? Meaning it slows down -> restarts -> boot failure message?

When you say slow, what kind of slow?

its to the point that its almost unresponsive, just long periods where it does absolutely nothing, and when i hit cntrl+alt+del the screen wiped off like it was going to show the dialog to open task manager etc, and it sat there for like 10 minutes and never appeared, so i finally hit cntrl+alt+del again to reboot it and thats when it died this time, its almost like it just corrupts the boot record, but the first drive that died was the 40gig that was not set as the bootable partition, it was just an auxilary drive to store stuff on..

and the power supply, i dont remember what brand.. its whatever came with the case, all i remember off the top of my head is its a 450w power supply

I would Suggest looking at your IDE Configuration. Make sure the masters are set right, also i have had problems running 3 HD's on xp as well, quick fix was just using 2 larger, xp doesnt like having 5 IDE drives.(3 HD, and 2 Cdrom)

well see the thing is, is i was actually down to only 2 hard drives.. i lost 2, had 1 left, and added a 2nd... i had 2 dvd drives too, whic, windows apparently doesnt like, because i cant get windows setup to work with the 2nd one plugged in??? im still wantin to lean toward it being a motherboard problem though, i dont think its the drives because like i said i can use a boot disk and boot the machine and still see everything on the drives, i just cant boot them for some reason?
and then i just got home a minute ago and tried booting it up, and i have never had problems with my sata drive, its always been the ide drives.. and when i booted up a minute ago, it wasnt showing my sata drive either, and after i rebooted once or twice, it started showing up again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom