No video on boot unless pull out cmos battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

vjm2122

Baseband Member
I have a p4 prescot 3.0 478 pin. It is running in a soyo dragon 2 board with a gig of ram. It has been running well for about a year or a little more. The other day I booted up and it said the cpu has changed. So I needed to go into the bios to change the frequency back to what it is supposed to be. Then I tried to save changes and exit and the whole computer froze. So I needed to do a hard reboot and when I did that it booted with no video this time. I tried rebooting several times and still no video. I checked the video card it is fine in another machine so is the monitor. The ram tested fine in another machine as well. If I go onto the mobo and take out the cmos battery wait and put it back in then the computer boots up with video and says again the cpu has changed. But in the bios it freezes again when you try to save. If I boot and bypass to try and get right into windows it freezes no matter if i boot normal or in any safe mode. I have no ideas left on why it will even boot when i take and replace the battery back in but then it freezes on me. If I boot after the freeze im back to booting with no video. Any help would be appreiciated.

Thanks for getting back to me guys.
I tried to reflash bios just now but after i take out the battery just so I can get it to boot with video the video drops out when I am trying just to get to the A prompt with a boot disk. The first time i got to the A prompt and was going to get to the directory to start the flash and the video just dropped out. Everything was still running but the video was gone. Restart and then no video problem is back. So I tried again by taking out the battery then putting it back booting up with video again but this time the video dropped out before it even got to the floppy drive. This is one of the oddest problems I have seen.

I could replace the PS but why would It come back on and boot up when I take the cmos battery out?

The only things plugged in are the board and the floppy from the PS.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

Soyo isnt exactly a name brand product for computers. Is this a new product? Have you called tech support? Try replacing the battery.

i did replace the cmos battery now the video is constant when I reboot and whatnot. However, it will still freeze when I try to go in and save setting in the bios. It gets to the box that says hit Y to save and exit I it it and the computer sits there frozen. If I skip the changed and try to boot into windows it freezes too. When i try to boot in safe mode it freezes after the mup.sys file but I know that the file is not the problem because that file loaded fine if its on the screen it would be whatever it would be loading next. I have too much data on this drive to just redo it and I dont have a bootable copy of windows anymore to try and fix the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom