OEM software has got me all confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint71

In Runtime
I am in the process of building a new computer and need an operation system. Im not going to wait for Vista so I think im going to get XP Pro. So im looking around and find out that there is a 32 bit and 64 bit version. Okay so since Im getting a 64 bit processor I should get the 64 bit operating system right? Another think I dont understand is how OEM works with software. On newegg they have a 64 bit version of XP PRO for like 146$ which is a good price.

Here what has me worried about Neweggs policy on OEM.

~Quote~

OEM versions are intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. Purchasers of this software are required to comply with the terms of the System Builder License, including responsibility for providing all end-user support. Newegg.com is not responsible for system/software incompatibility, and incompatibility issues do not qualify software as damaged or defective.

~Unquote~

Now does that mean I can only install the OS one time? I mean what if somthing happens to my computer and I need to reformat. Does that mean I cant use the installation disk again and have to buy another operating system? They dont watermark it or something do they? And what is up with this agreement thing and this talk about incompatibility issues. Are OEM versions something totally different that what I would pick up at the store? Im really confused on what to get.

ok first...
the 64 XP will be perfect.

As for the OEM OS, you just can't install it on "Another" machine after you install on that first one.

however, I have used an OEM OS for a long time now and have been able to install it on 3 other machines and have never had a problem.

Just make sure that you have all the drivers 64bit for your motherboard and such prior to ordering the 64bt xp pro..

You are not limited to one install with OEM XP packages. On the second install, on the same machine, you will need to call mirosoft and manually install. Once you've done that they reset your install quota to 3 and after the third new install you will have to call again ad nasueum. OEM is the cheapest and best way to go with XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom