External Hard Drive trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
when I try to run the partition program with the hard drive on...

it gives me a Init failed: Error 100, Partition table is bad.

and if i turn it on after i open the partition program, the drive does not show up.

any suggestions?

Ok....well this partition program works better
It shows up, but it does not give me the option of formatting the drive.

Suggestions?

does it give you an option of mount? if so you should mount the drive and choose a drive letter.. what options are actually available when rightclicking the drive?

the options available when I right click are:

Copy Hard Disk

Update MBR

Change Primary Slot

View Sectors

Browse Disk

Properties

And no, it does not give me an option to mount

so the external disk you are clicking on does not show up in the disk map? (with the colours and bars) if so click on the drive empty space and create a new partition or format it .. if it shows up in the drive map you can mount it also.. give that a try (if you already havnt) .. dont click on the actual drive but the partition or watever you have showing underneath it and try it on the disk map with the colours and bars.. lol hope that makes some sense

Ok.....somehow i think i managed to format the drive.....thanks a lot!!

But when I was doing it, it keeps giving me a message that says;

Hard Disk 1: I/O Fault!

why does it do this? Also, it still does not show up in Computer Management.

I appreciate all the help you have given me.

hmm strange... sorry i don't know why it is saying that if its new the only thing i can link to it is what you asked a few posts ago, it may be defective. I/O Fault is an Input Output Fault from the Hard Disk. All i can suggest now is to take the hard drive out of the external case and plug it inside your computer on IDE port and see if that helps you to format etc. other than that i'd be returning the product if you suspect its faulty. sorry i cant be of anymore help

no problem....im going to just replace it with another one. Are you familiar with any good brands?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!

no worries mate :)

i would recommend getting a maxtor or western digital (seagate have their own too) external hard drive because you know you are getting their hard drives and they are reliable and have good warrantys.. or you could always buy a external hard drive case and put a new hard drive in it for cheaper! if you are able to replace this one for case and new hdd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom