laptops for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlittlebear

Baseband Member
With my new job I am going to be traveling a lot, so now I am in the market for a laptop.

What I want to know is how do the lower GHz cpus (centrinos) compare to the full P4s in respect to proformace, not really power consumption for battery life. I have used a 3.6GHz alien ware and it was the slowest laptop I have ever used.

Also are there any good laptops for gaming sub 2000$?

Laptops and gaming basically cannot go into the same sentence. Laptops can do gaming, but they are not exactly "made" for it. Desktops are better for gaming. A friend of mine has an HP that he uses for gaming, says it works pretty well, so you might want to check them out.

Lol. An alienware @ 3.6 GHz (Intel P4?) and slow? Maybe it was bloated with programs/spyware/av/etc ?

Are you sure? Because I don't believe it.

The 2004 model DELL XPS gaming laptop socred higher than ALienware's latest 04 model. Yes, there are reviews about it. Though the 2005 models 9300 and XPS are a job, like TEKBOI said still with alienware if any laptop for gaming purposes, or go with a desktop

The P-M's actually do very well. There clock efficiency is more comparable to a A64, so don't let the lower clocks fool you.

You could get a 780 P-M (2.26GHz) and a go6800 with a gig of RAM and it will game just fine. But keep in mind that will be expensive.

I want to say the Dell XPS, I think it's called XPS. I know that can run Source with like 80fps. I don't follow Mobile gaming.

TEKBOI said:
Lol. An alienware @ 3.6 GHz (Intel P4?) and slow? Maybe it was bloated with programs/spyware/av/etc ?

Are you sure? Because I don't believe it.
yes intel, no it was not bloated it was a fresh install. it was fast for compiling, just things would just take so long to load. Some of our govt software will just sit there and wait, while on lesser laptops it runs right along.

I run a Dell Inspiron 5100 for gaming. It does ok. I just upgraded the ram to 1024 and the video card.

I have a friend who got a Dell XPS, and it's great.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
sounds like it's really slow when grabbing things off of the hard drive..?

Ryan

SATA HDD, runs great for fetching under linux.

thanks for the tips guys.

Ordered a Dell 9300, 2ghz, 1gb ram 256mb GF6800 for 1727

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom