My computers soooo sloowwww & checking disk space!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanell

Solid State Member
I've just joined and am so happy that I've found this forum! You see I ain't a real whizz kid and looking forward to learning a bit!

My computer is Windows 98 SE and is it currently soooooo slooowwwww!!

At times it kind of freezes a bit. I checked the space left in C: Drive and I've only used a little there. I then checked in Win98 SE (D:) and the space is all used. Is this normal??? I got this by double clicking 'My Computer' then right clicking on the icon, then properties!

Can anyone help me - can't you see I'm a newbie!! lol

Hi Chanell. Welcome to TF :)

When you say "soooooo slooowwwww!!", what exactly is running slow? The whole system, or just certain programs. Is this slowdown a recent occurrence?

It may also be helpfull to post some of your system specs...such as processor type/speed, type and amount of ram, etc.

The D drive is the disk drive, and it will show the spaced used on the disk that is inserted, or show zeros if no disk is in the drive. This is normal.

Yeah, the whole system is running slow and it seems to be only recently as well!

I am using Internet Explorer 6.0.
AMD Duron 750
20 Gig Hard Drive
128 Ram

Nix said:
Drop the windows - problems solved.

Great solution Nix....why didn't the rest of us think of this!

**Chanell**
Can you post a little more about your system...
Right-Click on My Computer and then click on properties.
Post as much information off of this screen as you can. Hopefully we can point you in a better direction.

Nix did mention about defragmenting your drive.
It's been a while for Windows 98 but Click Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > Disk Defrag. You'll be given a choice as to which drive. Choose the C: drive. Before running the defrag tool though....be sure to close all applications running and turn your screen saver off.

Yea, your D: drive is probably your CD-ROM drive. Looks like you had the Windows installation disk in the drive at the time. Since this CD cannot be written to...it will appear full. This is, as mentioned above, normal.

-Mike

Chanell said:
Nix, can you tell what defrag means?? Sorry, blushing here!! :eek:

Here's a fun example that I just came up with....
Ever play Jenga???
I don't want to start unless you say you have....otherwise...it's pointless if you've never have played. ;)

-Mike

Thanks for your help Mike.

Done what you said and heres what it showed:

System:
Microsoft Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222A

Computer:
AuthenticAMD
AMD Duron(tm) Processor
112.0 MB RAM

Performance status:
Memory: 112.0 MB of RAM
System Resources: 27% free
File System: 32-bit
Virtual Memory: 32-bit
Disk Compression: Not installed
PC Cards (PCMCIA): No PC Card sockets are installed

Your system is configured for optimal performance.

Why are the system resources so low??
Go to start, run, type MSCONFIG.
Click ok.
In the window that opens up, click on startup tab.
Leave scanregistry, taskmonitor, system tray, load power profile checked and uncheck everything else.
Click on apply and then ok, restart the comp.
Now check the system resources. I dont think u would face the problem of comp being slow after this.

Yea, thanks maverick_teck....
At initial startup, your system resources (available memory) is already at 27%....a typical value at initial boot is around 88% - 92%. This depends on how much memory you have of course. Looks like you have plenty though. You definatly have some other programs starting up in the background. Check the values for the startup tab in MSCONFIG like he said. Please post what you do not understand before you uncheck it. We'll be able to tell you what each of these values do and which ones to uncheck.
If your system starts up with only 27% resources available, then your system would already be sluggish....not to mention the other programs that you would try to run that would make it even more sluggish.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom