Not open for further replies.

Prelude92

Baseband Member
well i just bought a built a built pc with the following
*Dfi Sli-d Lan Party (socket 939) motherboard
*amd 3000+ venice processor
*Ati Radeon x850 xt pe w/ v700cu fan
*250 gig Western digital 7200 rpm sata drive
*Thermaltake Tsunami case (black with front cover) all aluminum with Forton Blue Storm Power supply 500 watt
*Corsair Xms pc 3200 Ram - 1 gig Dual channel
and 2 dvd burners.
my monitor is a dell 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor

***PROBLEM
i am using dvi-d to connect the monitor to the pc. there are times when the monitor flickers and a message displays DVI-D unable to display.. i have ideas of what can be goin on but im not to smart to know for sure. what i think is goin on is that the video card settings are set to high for the monitor to synch. up w/ the pc. or it could be that the monitor port could be faulty.. idk what to do to try and fix this.. ill try the vga port to see if the flickering will stop.. any ideas??

well i reseated the dvi-d cable and it seemed to work just fine but then resorted back to the same thing maybe an hour later... the monitor also had a vga port so i managed to connect that port to the pc and no flickering yet... i was wondering what difference between the two were...
here is what i know.. dvi is digital signals all the way. vga is analog... that is it. :-/

What you know is correct.

DVI is supposed to give a better picture, but so far I can't really tell a difference.

I'm just glad that you got it to work. It could be your cable, or the jack at either end...

well the pc portsure was not the issue since it works fine w/ the vga. the cable was brand new out of the box... i would have to guess it is the cable or the port on the monitor... would you reccomend fixing the dvi port on the monitor just to get make up for loses on the vga conversion from analog to digital? is it really worth fixing it?

Leave it. As long as the other works...

Besides, it's usually cheaper to buy a new monitor than to repair an old one. Unless it is still covered by the warranty.

ok I think i know what the problem might be.. when i talked to the guy who sold me the monitor he told me that he also had issues w/ the same monitor(he has another) and told me that the cable was the bad apple.. so im looking for a cable but those things are not CHEAP..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom