CPU Cooling Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzD

Baseband Member
I have a pentium 4 3.2 GHZ on an ASUS P4P800
550 W PSU

I use ASUS MBM and I saw that I was getting about 55-60 degrees celcius on my CPU under load, so I went out, got a ZALMAN CNPS7700 AlCu because I heard really good things.

The fan is huge! I had it installed by a PC guy, and the fan is running at about 1962 RPM. My old fan ran about 2800 RPM. The thing is, I'm still getting the same heat. 47-49 idle, and 55-60 underload. I want to know why!!!

This fan came with a fan controller, but when i toggled it to max the RPM stayed at 950, and even if I put it on low. So it seems to be useless. I really need to raise my RPM, any help would be great thx!

Windows XP Prof. (sP2)

The Zalman actually cools air with volume instead of fan speed.
This Zalman has a Fan Mate 2 which keeps it quiet for you.
At top speed it runs "around" 2000 rpm @ 32 db.
When you select the quiet mode, it actually runs at 1000 RPM @ 20 db.

So its not the actual RPM that you need to worry about with this particular fan.
Did he use Arctic Silver by any chance ?

Edit: The testing on this FAN was done with a similar machine to yours.... Their machine dropped almost 18° C. So something aint right.

He did not use AS.

It is really damn hot out though, so could this contribute to the temp of the CPU?

Is there anything I could do to decrease the temp from my cpu?
Is 55-60 a threat?
Could it just be the weather?

Running that speed with an Intel can be risky... Make sure that your bios will shut it down if your cpu is compramised at all.

It has a lot to do with the weather... You will notice atleast 7 - 8° difference between day use and late night use.

Are your other fans full of dust ?
How about the HS ?

You might want to check your GPU heat as well.

You will start to only notice the performance loss when your cpu temp reaches around 80°C. So you have a little to work with still.

I watched an engineer at a computer shop around the corner put this in. He put the thermal paste on that came with the fan. Would arctic silver 5 make much much of a difference?

I seriously think its because its so damn hot here right now.

I have heard that Arctic Silver does actually make a difference.

But Like I said, Its all about the outside temp right now.
Your cpu is fine at the temp its at currently...
They have tests that raise that cpu to 105°c +
You will not hurt your cpu running it at a mild 60°c
Infact you will NOT even see a performance degrade until the cpu hits around 74°c. If I were you , I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel like getting the Arctic Silver, thats cool. Don't lose sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom