Parts to NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
waynejkruse10 said:
i have a Maxtor 120gb and a Seagate 80gb. I like Seagates because they are quiet and fast, and i like my Maxtor because its fast (but noisy). My next computer will be 100% Seagates.

Next time I need a new hard drive I'll shop around more, but considering what the decibel level is of my music at any given time asking for a quiet hard drive is kind of ridiculous (in my case).

These 4 in 1 installs, I've never heard of them (I'm a pc building virgin). I'm assuming these are an Intel only thing??

apokalipse said:
Intel usually use their own chipsets. most Via chipsets are found in AMD motherboards. you'll find either Via or Nvidia chipsets in today's AMD motherboards

Hm. Sorry if this is an oblivious question, but in what situation would you find/try to avoid the 4to1 issues spoken about above?

I bought a Toshiba DVD Rom drive. Not sure of the exact model but it is the cheapest one from newegg. Thing never would read a disc the entire way and usually froze my computer. I RMA'd it for a replacement and it did the same thing. Steer clear from Toshiba DVD drives.

DDR Ram with the RAMOS Chipset. - Lost count the number of those I have had returned to be on RMA.

SD Ram PC133 with NOVA Chipset - My expereience was about 4 in every 10 modules would be DOA. And they had this lovely habbit of corupting your Windows 98.

mgoldb2 said:
This not a product in particular but rather a group of one that any one that plan to do any gaming should avoid.

A motherboard or prebuilt computer that has NO agp or pci-e slot. PLEASE ask this question before buying anything if you ever plan to use the computer for gaming.

I get so many people wanting to upgrade there video card to play a game like battlefield 2 or doom 3 but has no good options because all they got is PCI slots.

:p I bought a computer once without agp port and I didn't know. After about a few months later I realized how badly integrated graphics sucked, so I opened up the case to search for agp slot so I may upgrade later. Obviously I didn't find one, I even used a flashlight to search every inch of the damn board.

Luxar said:
To add to the Maxtor issue, I've been running a WD 80gb drive in my old computer for about 4 years now, and have a raptor and a 160gb WD drive running in this computer now, no problems thus far. My friend has had two maxtor drives give out on him in the past 3 years, so it seems they're rather hit-or-miss.

I'd steer clear of Maxtor for the most part.

I have two 80GB SATA Maxtor's and have had no problems so far. One of the drives always makes some really loud clicks sometimes, but for the past years it has not affected anything else.

I also have a Lite-On dvd writer. I have had some trouble burning when the burning freezes at some percentage (program did not freeze but the progress did). I have no idea if the drive is related or not though, maybe it's Nero, or the data being burned. Also my Lite-On is extremely loud and gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom