sata and ide

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBarry

In Runtime
My dad asked me to build him a new 'puter, but he wanted to use the hard drive from his old one, as it had all his work. But the new rig is SATA instead of ATA/IDE. Whats the best way of tranferring data between the new hard drives?

for hdd data copy'in all i have heard of id Norton Ghost, for and exact copy that is, but there are many ways for just regular data...DVD's :) or hook the hdd upto a pc and drag the files over by LAN.

every motherboard comes with IDE these days... so you can just hook it up, copy stuff over then take it out.

If the old comp is not going to be used, then setup the new comp to boot off the SATA, and once everything is running nicely, simply attach the IDE HDD to the new comp. If you have no need to dual boot, you can clean up the EIDE by deleting all the windows folders and stuff, keeping only the data.

Sprooty said:
every motherboard comes with IDE these days... so you can just hook it up, copy stuff over then take it out.

I was hoping that would be the case, ill keep my fingers crossed!

yeah, but make sure the Sata drive and windows is installed befor u install the IDE drive, otherwise it might try boot off the IDE...

Sprooty said:
yeah, but make sure the Sata drive and windows is installed befor u install the IDE drive, otherwise it might try boot off the IDE...

Not if you set the BIOS to 1st boot from the new HDD with OS installed.

F6Hawk said:
If the old comp is not going to be used, then setup the new comp to boot off the SATA, and once everything is running nicely, simply attach the IDE HDD to the new comp. If you have no need to dual boot, you can clean up the EIDE by deleting all the windows folders and stuff, keeping only the data.

Exactly. But, I would run a complete virus scan on that drive before you try to execute any files from it or transfer any files to the new HDD. It's actually a great way to clean a HDD. I've done that at work. Take a infected HDD from one PC that I was having a hell of a time cleaning with various AV & other programs & registery fixes... Put it in a PC as a secondary drive and run a FULL scan of the infected drive. Because the OS / Registry isn't being used to run the PC you're using to clean the 2nd HDD. I've had nothing but success with this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom