router and Enternet 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
i'm gonna connect two pc's (Win2k) to a router and then to a DSL modem to share the connection. however, to connect, i have to run the Enternet 300 software. will it work if i tried to connect through the router? and if i only connect on one pc, will the other pc have access to the net? how would i make this work?

You might want to consider running a firewall box on the outside of the router. Just a small PC that will run your connection software and a high quality firewall to the outside. Then connect to the router as a switch. you can still use the DHCP function of the router if you like, but you will want to turn off the default gateway, as that becomes the firewall, unless you want more routes to go through...
Good Luck

edit:
Scratch the disabling the gateway. That is wrong. You will point to the firewall from within the router. Keeping the static IP you get on the DSL line, that will be the routers gatway...

OK I just asked a friend of mine and he says that with a routher, you're always connected to the internet. Havent tried it myself though.

well i could use one of the pc's as the gateway, this way i only need a one-port router. however, i'm missing on the NAT protection i'd be getting with a router. however, this poses a problem, since my ip is dynamic, i will have to update the default gateway on the pc behind the router everytime i login. any other solutions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom