AMD's new socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not convinced that Socket 754 is going to still be around in after Chinese New Year 2006. The only reason why I sell more Socket 754 is that the Socket 939 motherboards are still around about another $50 more.

Dang.

I won't be going to this new socket any time soon, by the time it rolls around I will be a student in seattle eating ramen daily and barely scraping by with funds....I'm gonna have to disagree with ya wayne as far as 'not a big enough upgrade' because honestly going from K7 to K8 is a rather nice upgrade...mainly due to the memory controllers...more so of course if you overclock your system, but they do indeed pack a nice punch compared to previous generation

Harper said:
I am not worried about the Ram as people can normally get rid of it easily and still get a good price of it.
There is always some one that is kicking an old box arround with the last generation of memory it. (with the exception of RAMBUS Memory)
Same goes with hard drives. Just remember to do that secure erase before passing the drive along to some one else.

MoBo, CPU and Video cards on the other hand are a bit of a pain.

It's a bit sad with AMD that they are doing :mad: YET :mad: ANOTHER :mad: SOCKET :mad: as it's still in recent memory that they released Socket 754 and 939.

I am not convinced that Socket 754 is going to still be around in after Chinese New Year 2006. The only reason why I sell more Socket 754 is that the Socket 939 motherboards are still around about another $50 more.
hey intel switches sockets more.
also how many pins will this one have i am guessing over a thousand since they are not using the # for the name

matt2m said:
hey intel switches sockets more.

INTEL
SOCKET 7
. |
. V
SLOT 1
. |
. V
SOCKET 370
. |
. V
SOCKET 423
. |
. V
SOCKET 478
. |
. V
SOCKET LGA 775

AMD
SOCKET 7
. |
. V
SLOT A
. |
. V
SOCKET A
. | | | |
. V V V V
SOCKET 754
SOCKET 939
SOCKET 940
(SOCKET A)

My issue with AMD is that I see a lot of people that are scratching there head try to work out what CPU they want to do go for.

For the last few years, people have always been going for the one motherboard socket to suit their CPU. However you have AMD that has released 3 sockets (4 if you include the fact that there is Socket A Semprons) all at the same time. And this is leaving people woundering.
1. What motherboard + CPU to purchase
2. What socket is going to get phased out. Now Socket A we would easily work out it was going to get phased out a long time ago. However between socket 754 and 939 running parralle with each other is just confusing or annoying the end user.

I know that with socket 7 and socket A, AMD was keeping their CPU standards straight for a long as possible. However now with 3(4) socket on the market, and another one the horizion, it does make my job at selling a computer harder when i want to say "Yes, you will be able to upgrade the CPU on your current set up"

matt2m said:
also how many pins will this one have i am guessing over a thousand since they are not using the # for the name
How about no pins at all like LGA 775.
After all the AMD and INTEL HQ are right next to each other. And when Intel produces some thing, AMD has this habbit of following.
Eg. Intel brings out SLOT 1, AMD brings out SLOT A shortly after.
Intel brings out SOCKET 370, AMD brings out SOCKET A shortly after.

Tell you this, LGA 775 is a great way of Intel thowing the BRENT-CPU-PIN-RETURN-AUTHORISATION back onto the motherboard manufacturers.

waynejkruse10 [/i][QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harper said:
Dang. [/QUOTE] That is my gut feeling. I have not heard anything via the offical channel yet.
However it very clear that AMD is producing less and less Socket 754 Athlon 64 processors.

And unless there is a some one that feel the need to purchase ALOT of Socket 939 Sempron Chips, there is no plans on producing them either.

This really shits me as I can not longer offer the BUY-NOW-UPGRADE-LATER SYSTEM like i did with AMD Durons Computer system and ATHLON XP CPUs.
This was some thing that very populare with the Uni-Students down the road from my work. As they used to purchase a low end system from me at the beginning of term so they got a computer. And then at the end of the term, I used to sell them an Athlon CPU and maybe a newer video card so they got a games machines to play with over the semester break.

Currently you can still purchase a cheap Celeron CPU, and then switch over to a Pentium IV chip later on when you got the funds.

My issue with AMD is that I see a lot of people that are scratching there head try to work out what CPU they want to do go for.
well if you did your research it wouldn't require any head scratching.

940 = was predominately servers
754 = no dual channel capabilities and slightly lower performance
939 = Dual channel, not primarily servers, was basically advertised as the 'desktop solution'

So if you spent a tad bit of time looking into it, then I don't see what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom