PhysX cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting? about what another 200 to fork out? hell no. the cpua nd gpu seems to be doing fine we dotn need a comathprocessor or ppc let intel and amd intergrade into the cpu.

efd753 said:
interesting? about what another 200 to fork out? hell no. the cpua nd gpu seems to be doing fine we dotn need a comathprocessor or ppc let intel and amd intergrade into the cpu.

Yeah the CPU & GPU's now are doing fine, but what happens when GAMES evolve even further. Two things that will continue to change about PC games are, "HDR" will be used more & Bigger and better "Physics Engines". Games are now at a point that the only thing left for them to do is make the gaming experience seem more and more real. In order to do that they need to mimic reality.
More hardware will certainly be needed to advance games any further.. This technology will allow devs. to create games with a "MAYA" feel to them. Rigid body dynamics , Universal collision detection, Finite element analysis , Soft body dynamics , Fluid dynamics , Hair simulation , Clothing simulation.....

I bet the PPU's will be available around the time of UNREAL 2007.

They need a game that supports it in order to launch. I beleive that will be the one.

efd753 said:
let intel and amd intergrade into the cpu.
Then the CPUs would cost $200 more. :) Besides, the whole point of it is to offload physics calculations from the CPU. It will also allow for much more, and detailed physics.

HAVOC2k5 said:
I beleive that will be the one.
Yes, that and any other games using UE3.

I think I posted something about these way back in January or whenever...obviously the biggest problem is getting developers to code games so that they can actually use the PPU to render things

But yeah, as far as computers go, I think in the future more components are going to start to branch off with their own dedicated periphials and the actual central processing unit will simply coordinate all these smaller, much more complex processors that all have specific tasks

I would suspect the next thing to come mainstream will be dedicated audio cores

Anyways, the demos they show are really something else though...games will soon be so detailed that you can walk down a street and have blades of grass blowing the wind and god knows what else

Anyways, the demos they show are really something else though...games will soon be so detailed that you can walk down a street and have blades of grass blowing the wind and god knows what else

Ain't Nothin' wrong with that!

woot6600GT said:
Hmmm, wouldn't this require software suppport? So only a few games at first, but it could catch on. Sigh... Another upgrade we all might have to spend money on some day...
They would.... I would like to get one. But only when I see a lot of computer games truely using the technology.

Like I remember when APG 8x first came out a few years back, and there was a only a handful of games that were take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

The is no sence in purchase expensive toys if you are not going to be using it IMHO.

1 question for any game that supports this thing. It is mandatory, meaning you either have it or you wont be able to play the game. Then that sucks. i most of us went with the 6600 gt for a reason that is bufget and thry want us to fork out another 200-250 for a pci card? my graphic that i play game on with good graphics is 200. But i need an 200 and then the price fo the on top of that? why cant we just let dual core proceesors that will become much less pricy int he next 1-2 years do that work? use 1 for interface and the other for pure physics calcualtions. right? Or im missing somthing. I read the articles and it says that compare to cpu this can 20 about 20,000 bodies on screen right. Well take in consideration that this is 1 cpu not 2. that keeps track fo the gaem interface and physics engine. Add another one and you split the load. see no need for some 200 pci card do physics. That all it does no graphics just physics so your cpu and graphic are still your best bet for graphics. 200 for processor and 200 for graphic that the hiest i go and is doign good right now. so the hell with this shit.

apokalipse said:
I don't think it will be mandatory at first
I would have to agree with your there.
However it would very likely enhance your game play.
I remember completing Unreal on a 4Mb SiS PCI Video Card when it came out. Then then playing it again after i purchased my 12Mb Banshee Card.

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I don't think the game delevopers are going to be expecting every one to change over to PhyX cards over night.
(with the exception of Id Software)

I am still hoping for another 12-18 months out of my current APG set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom