Windows Instant messanger?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
Hi:

When attempting to stop windows instant messenger in administrative tools, the start/stop option when right clicking on "messenger" is not accessable. I'm running XP pro with sp2. Any suggestions?

If you're running Pro, you can use GPEDIT.MSC to prevent Messenger from loading. Otherwise, even disabling it in startup won't cause it to "always" not run. Outlook, Outlook Express and some MS web pages can still make it load.

Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC

For "per machine" restriction, go to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger. For "per user" restriction, go to User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Messenger.

You can now modify whether it starts initially and/or whether its to run at all.

Note: Outlook and Outlook Express will take longer to open, unless you turn off Messenger Support. In Outlook Express it is in Tools, Options, General tab. In Outlook it is in Tools, Options, Other.

Thanks.....I figured it would be a "back door" job but I didn't know whcih door to go through! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom