Finally ready to get a new PC, little help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezzari

In Runtime
After browsing the forums and asking some questions, I think I'm finally ready to buy a new computer. This is one of the rare cases where it would cost more to build it myself. Does anyone have any comments / advice?

I've decided to overclock the CPU (to 2.2 - 2.5 Ghz) Since this is from Ibuypower.com, some of my choises are limited.

Processor: Athlon-64 X2 3800

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394 PCI-E MB

Memory: 2048 MB [1024MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand

Video Card: [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 6600GT 128MB

Hard Drive: 160 GB HARD DRIVES [S-ATA] Western Digital 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive

Processor Cooling: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit + 2 EXTRA CASE FANS

PSU: Standard Case Power Supply(420 W)

CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive: 16x DVD-ROM + 52x32x52 CD-RW Combo Drive Beige

Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Speakers:600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Total: $1,190

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm also worried about the power supply, is 420W enough for liquid cooling?

um, the liquid cooling is unneccessary, the 939 stock cooler rocks, take the money you save to go to a 450w thermaltake or antec PSU and spend a little bit more & go for a 7800gt, it just makes sense

The_Tobes99 said:
um, the liquid cooling is unneccessary, the 939 stock cooler rocks, take the money you save to go to a 450w thermaltake or antec PSU and spend a little bit more & go for a 7800gt, it just makes sense

I'm planning on overclocking the processor to at least 2.4 Ghz. I heard that my motherboard isn't really the best one for overclocking, so I figured I might need a nice cooling system.

I think the MSI will be fine for overclocking, not the BEST but it will do fine. I agree thou, you dont need liquid cooling, just get a good heatsink and fan cooler, like a Zalman or something. And if you want to overclock you probably dont want the Value RAM either. Value RAM dosnt overclock very much, and since you want to overclock a 3800 to 4800 speeds, I would say get some better RAM, which sould be easily in the budget when you get rid of the water cooling.

Tro1086: Can't I overclock the CPU without doing anything to the ram? Or do I have to overclock them both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom