Computer turns self off

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammy1999

Baseband Member
Hi, I work with XP (pack2), AMD 2100+ CPU, Abit KX7-333R motherboard, AMD cooking system, 1 gb ram, 80 hard drive master, 80 hard drive slave, Benq DVD rom, Benq DVD burner, ATI allin wonder radion 8500DV 64mb video card.

I am having a problem, when ever I use applications that work with pics or video for any period of time, the computer will shut off automatically. Completly shut down!! After about 15 minutes, I can restart, but not before then. If I am doing just browsing or work like that, it has never shut down. I do alot of picture and video editing and this is becoming a problem that I need to figure out. I have had this computer for about 3 years now and it has always done this. I dont know if this is a problem someone else has or not. I really could use some advice on what to do.
I am using a monitor that shows the heat and I understand that its running to hot. (over 130 degrees F). Don't know if its the power supply and I have wondered about my fans, they are running, but they don't seem to put out much air. And I check for dust all the time.
Thanks

I'm going out on a leg here and suggesting that your CMOS battery is dying/dead, and replacing it should fix the shutdowns

A dying power supply might be a possibility but I can't see that happening

According to the AMD website, your CPU should be able to handle 90 C, so that kinda rules out overheating.

As well as what gaara said, have a look at the guide on random reboots at the top of this forum, as it might help you out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom