Computer shuts down on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammy1999

Baseband Member
Hi, I work with XP (pack2), AMD 2100+ CPU, Abit KX7-333R motherboard, AMD cooking system, 1 gb ram, 80 hard drive master, 80 hard drive slave, Benq DVD rom, Benq DVD burner, ATI allin wonder radion 8500DV 64mb video card.

I am having a problem, when ever I use applications that work with pics or video for any period of time, the computer will shut off automatically. Completly shut down!! After about 15 minutes, I can restart, but not before then. If I am doing just browsing or work like that, it has never shut down. I do alot of picture and video editing and this is becoming a problem that I need to figure out. I have had this computer for about 3 years now and it has always done this. I dont know if this is a problem someone else has or not. I really could use some advice on what to do. Thanks

AMD cooking system
That could be part of the problem...

Sounds like a heat problem.

Have you cracked the case to make sure that your fan(s) are working properly? When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your case (blew it out with compressed air)?

Downloading Motherboard Monitor wouldn't hurt, but I don't know what program to use to monitor your graphics card. Here's a link for MM:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Motherboard_Monitor_d311.html

================================================

Oh, and this was posted in the wrong forum. If should have been posted in Hardware Troubleshooting, and the top of the main page.

Thanks and I posted this in Hardware like you asked. THanks again. And I have a monitor on it now.

Your system isn't getting enough power from your PS... or it's a heating issue. Try and unplug some things you don't need and run an extensive video test like you usually do. Like CD-ROMS, extra hard-drives, USB devices, etc... While your at it you can kill 2 birds with one stone and get something like SpeedFan to monitor your CPU temperature. Although, more than likely if it's shutting down from video processing, it's your video card and SpeedFan doesn't monitor that, only CPU temps. Make sure it's not a lack of power from your PS first, then you can move on to that. I have a few tricks up my sleeve :) Let me know how it goes!

Thanks so much for your reply. Not too long ago, I added up how much all my devices uses normally in power and I was pushing 400 watts (the size of my power supply). So I don't know if thats the problem or not. Also, I have put a new hard drive in about a month ago and just put software that I use and nothing else. This problem only happens when I am using Paint Shop Pro very intensly and when I am doing video editing. I also must add, that my room, where I have the computer, gets really hot when this computer is on. Don't know if that makes a dfference or not. Thanks Also, do you have a suggestion for a new power supply. That is the only kind of device I haven't put in a computer and not sure if I need to have a professional do that or not. Thanks again

I finally got tired of the shut downs and wanted to try something else before I changed out a mother board. I did the scannow and half way through it, the computer shut down and I have tried 3 different times since then and can't get it to make it 1/4 of the way through without the computer shutting down. At this point I am ready to reinstall windows, BUT I need to burn a few files on CD before I can do that and it won't let me do that either. When ever I put the cd in the driver, it shuts down. I have a brand new hd and was wondering if I can take out the mast hd and replace it with the new one and then start the Windows xp cd and reinstall windows. Do you have to have the new hd reconized before I can reinstall windows? And if that worked would be able to use the old master hd as the slave hd and get my files off of it or will there be a problem of the OS being on both drives? Then I can reformat the old drive after that. HELP!!!!

I'd still have to agree and say heating issue. Go in BIOS and see what the temp readings are. If you can get on the computer, right click 'my computer' and go to 'properties'. Look for the startup/recovery tab, and disable automatic shutdown so you get a blue screen, and maybe that'll give you more info.

Its always a good idea to use compressed air on your fans and blow out any residue or dirt. I had a problem just like this, turns out my 300W power supply wasn't enough for all my gadgets. I bought a 550W PS from ebay for $30 and been fine since.

I disabled the Automatic Shutdown a while back. When I turned on the computer today I went to check the temps. It started out at around 56 degrees F and within a few minutes it was up to 140 degrees F. The computer finally let me backup the things I need to back up. I am wanting to reinstall Windows, but now my bios doesn't reconize my hd. Now I have to figure this one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom