Daily Quiz: Troubleshooting 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
it would still work tho wouldnt it? cuz if ur reinstalling windows XP all they're checking is that you "own" an older version of windows...worked for me anyway.

PROBLEM:

Timmy wakes up one morning to find that his CRT monitor isn't working. It's connected to his videocard and it's plugged in and has power. After trying everything from restarting to reconnecting all wires he gives up. Then he decides to open up the CRT and poke around, may-be he can find the problem. Which of the following precautions should timmy take. Answer all that apply.

A. Wear wrist strap to prevent ESD damage to the monitor

B. Make sure that the power is switched off and the power cord is plugged out

C. Make sure that the ESD is grounded properly

D. Connect the Monitor as well as the wrist strap to the ground.

A - always wear a wirts strap when handeling hardware especaly monitors
B - im not even going to explain
C - probs should but i dont know

ANSWER:

Actually the only correct answer is B. Make sure that the power is switched off and the power cord is unplugged.

B is the obvious answer but the reason why the other ones are wrong is CRT monitors can hold over 20,000 volts of electricity. Even when they are unplugged and turned off. Grounding yourself to 20,000 volts would not be a smart choice as you may end up a burnt spot on the floor.

well i knew monitors were different but i got it the opposite way round :S, oh well.

wow that was a pretty tricky one. IBMan: an upgrade copy of windows xp requires a pre-installed windows OS higher than win98 (i think it won't work on win95) to work. the upgrade copy install should only start from within windows.

new question

problem: timmy has a nice multimedia pc setup in his study. he has a brilliant sound card and gfx card and a nice big sub-woofer on the desk, a massive dvd collection and just about all he could want. he used to have a little shelf on the wall with his old crt monitor but the shelf broke and the monitor smashed. after cleaning up the mess he did some thinking. he decided that for his purposes he would by another crt monitor instead of upgrading to an lcd. after buying his new monitor he puts it on his desk and fires up the computer only to find a strange distortion down the side of the screen. he takes the monitor back and gets a replacement which does the same thing.

question: what is causing the distortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom