Daily Quiz: Troubleshooting 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
nitestick said:
its not working because he apparently installed it with the pc on if he installed it and restarted it. he probably fried the card and pci slots. so in my opinion the salesperson is wrong.

Well, that could be what happened. But, that's not the correct answer for this situation and question. Look more at what the sales person said rather then what timmy did or didn't do. This one is a little tricker...

it could be if the motherboard has annother inbuilt component performing the same action and the processor is told to listen to the inbuilt component rather than the pci slot.

i know im wrong i just thought id like to play the game so i took a guess. (i do know what an IRQ conflict is :p)

Rich97 said:
it could be if the motherboard has annother inbuilt component performing the same action and the processor is told to listen to the inbuilt component rather than the pci slot.

i know im wrong i just thought id like to play the game so i took a guess. (i do know what an IRQ conflict is :p)

Thanks for playing: This is a good chance for you to learn something. Stay tuned. Rich97 said, "i do not know what an IRQ conflict is." HINT: Either does the "Best Buy" Salesman.

i said i DO know what an irq confict is :p i could have solved the IDE/Pentium 1 problem so im not entirly stupid

HAVOC2k5 said:
Thanks for playing: This is a good chance for you to learn something. Stay tuned. Rich97 said, "i do know what an IRQ conflict is." HINT: Does the "Best Buy" Salesman know what an IRQ is?

sorry rich: edit

ANSWER:
The "Best Buy" salesman is wrong. LoL because they don't know crap about computers. NO. Seriously.

Unlike ISA and EISA cards, PCI cards do not select their own IRQ line. Instead they can only select one of four "interrupt pins", which are mapped by the motherboard chipset to IRQ lines.
These interrupt pins are also known as "Interrupt levels" normally labelled (#A, #B, #C, #D or #1, #2, #3, #4).

PCI cards don't use IRQ lines, they use Interrupt Levels.

alright, i'll take the question. Timmy's computer has been slowly lagging worse and worse each day after making all these upgrades, Timmy knows a lot about security and has a hardware and software firewall, he runs a spyware scan once a day and a virus scan every other day. Timmy's computer now sometimes will boot up but sometimes will not. Usually when it does boot up it takes longer to boot than it used to. Timmy doesn't understand what is happening, he thought he was safe with all his security protection..what is goinr wrong with Timmy's computer?

i probably should let someone else jump in but my opinion is that after all timmy's nifty upgrades like that 7800gtx he's always wanted his little 200w psu can't hack it any more. he needs to buy a better psu. it could also be due to failing components (hdd) or it could just be his file system is getting really cluttered and he should defrag or reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom