RAM Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekkie00

In Runtime
I just have a few questions about the RAM compatible with my computer.

1. Is there any way to get inexpensive PC133 SDRAM? Most of the 512 mb. packs cost nearly $100, and right now I don't want to spend so much.

2. I have two seperate memory slots in my computer. Would two 256 mb. sticks of RAM provide any better performance than one 512mb stick?

I would add more than 512 megs, but that is supposed to be the limit for my computer. Thanks for your help.

1. yeah i mean 1Gb of good ram is a little over 100 i don't see how PC133 ram can be so expensive?

2. yeah, only if your motherboard supports duel channel.

trekkie00 said:
I just have a few questions about the RAM compatible with my computer.

1. Is there any way to get inexpensive PC133 SDRAM? Most of the 512 mb. packs cost nearly $100, and right now I don't want to spend so much.

2. I have two seperate memory slots in my computer. Would two 256 mb. sticks of RAM provide any better performance than one 512mb stick?

I would add more than 512 megs, but that is supposed to be the limit for my computer. Thanks for your help.

1) it is a lot older, so it is harder to find thats why its so expensive.

2) get one 512MB i highly doubt it supports dual channel.

Inexpensive and PC133 ram don't go together. I have an old PC that uses it and 256mb strip is usually around 100. I would upgrade rather than mess with that because it won't give you much of a speed boost anyways.

I've worked with a lot of PC 133, and I've never, ever, ever seen dual channel PC 133 ram. I don't think it exists. It's a creation of the DDR era. If the single stick of 512 is cheaper, go for it.

I'm looking for some PC 133 ram too. I want either a stick of 256 or 512 for the buget PC I'm building my lady. Anyway, I know what you mean by not wanting to spend that cash on the stuff.

Ryan

I rechecked my computer specs, and right now I am using PC100. How much of a performance boost would there be if I doubled the ram and went with PC133? Would it be worth spending extra for the slightly faster ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom