Enlighten me on Socket 478

Status
Not open for further replies.

FghtinIrshNvrDi

Fully Optimized
Okay fellas, I'm an AMD fan, but here's a little story.

I went to a garage sale with a guy that deals in old computer parts a lot. I found a LOT of interest in a socket 478 motherboard he had. It was $5!! So I jumped on it, and here I am.

It's not that great of a board, but my g/f's computer's on the fritz. I'm going to build her a new budget PC, and this is a nice little piece to my puzzle.

The FSB is 400mhz for the processor, and I was wondering about this little detail imparticular. If I can find a P4 with a higher FSB, will it be compatible? Will it just downclock, or are there issues with this sort of thing? I'm hoping that it won't be an issue, and I'll buy a 400mhz FSB processor, but I would still like to have the 533mhz option open if I trip over a good deal... I'm going to be e-baying this, so I'm looking for a deal, not great performance or anything.

By the way, I'm saving more than just money on the motherboard. I'm saving money on the ram, which is old school PC133 that I have lying around for free.

Thanks for your all's insight. I'm an AMD fellow, not an intel, but I just couldn't pass this dude up!

Ryan

Good luck on getting that SDRAM to work... SDRAM is very very picky. Your best bet is to go to crucial and getting ram that is guaranteed.

Well since you mentioned that the socket 478 board uses SDRAM, it probably only supports the older p4 cores. So my guess is that it will not even recognize a CPU with a 533 fsb..........

Also make sure that the board really is a socket 478. It very well could be a socket 423...

I've never heard of this brand of motherboard before. It's Matsonic, and I was impressed by the deal because it came with the box, IDE and floppy ribbons, and corresponding user's manual.

It's model MS9017C. If it was a socket 423, I wouldn't have anything to do with it... Those things are rare. Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean about 'hoping' the PC 133 is going to work. It has worked in every computer setup I've built with PC 133 ram slots.

I think it is only going to support older cores, but that's okay. We're building a SERIOUS budget PC. The less money spent, the better... Anyway, any more insight Shawn?

Thanks for your all's time.

Ryan

Not from my expirence. I have 3 computers that use SDRAM. I bought 3 sticks of SDRAM that looked good and compatible on paper. I go to put them in, the computers either come back bad on the POST, or bad on the memtest results.

Same thing with this guy I know, he bought a couple sticks of ram for his old computers. Out of the 4 sticks of ram he bought for the 4 different computers, only 2 worked.

And I know the sticks were not bad, because I sold them to somebody who got them to work.

every time I've put an SDRAM stick into a system it has worked. except for one when one system didn't support more than 256MB sticks and I tried putting in a 512. although another system I used that also didn't support 512 just used 256MB of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom