help with processor choosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich97

Baseband Member
ok im looking for an amd 64 processor could someone please tell me the difference between the amd64 processors.

e.g. whats the difference between an amd athlon 64 venice, san deiago, foxconn or fx (i really hope foxconn and FX arnt the same otherwise im going to look really stupid)

and what will i get the best results with

cheers

Venice and San Diego are different core architectures. AMD tries to improve the cores of their Athlon 64's all the time. the cores for Athlon 64's are:
Clawhammer (socket 754 and 939, the first core)
Newcastle (the second core, in socket 939)
Winchester (the first one to have a die size of 90nm. had problems with getting high clock speeds)
Venice (the second to have a die size of 90nm. overclocks really well)
San Diego (the same as a Venice, but with more L2 cache)
Manchester (2 Venices cores in the one chip)
Toledo (2 San diego's in the one chip)

foxconn is a motherboard brand

FX is a type of Athlon 64, that is designed to be high-end. it comes with an unlocked multiplier.

cheers how much extra speed could you get out of overclocking a venice or san deiago i heard that with faster processors overclocking is getting slightly pointless :confused:

by the way im not an overclocker incase you havent guessed already :p

i'm not to sure about the overclockability of the two cores but seeing as they are virtually the same i'd imagine its fairly similar so san diego will still be superior. overclocking is not pointless, but it is starting to get quite hard especially with the way intel manufactures its cpu's to take advantage of sheer clock speed which could leaqd to some big problems with overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom