Win 98 boot disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

samantha86

Solid State Member
my friend has managed to crash his computer somehow - it wouldn't do anything so we've prepared the PC for reinstallation of win 98 but we don't have the system disk, we've tried boot.com and putergeek but neither of them work once inserted into the floppy drive of his PC (we get the error message - invalid system disk)

anybody have any suggestions on how we can resolve this problem?

you are extracting the files on to the floppy and not just copying over a zipped file to the floppy, correct?

Yes, you have to start the program you downloaded, or extract the files to the diskette if it's a ZIP file.

Upgrade

I guess Microsoft Win98 comes with Bootable Disk .. so there is no need to boot from FDD

Who uses Fdd these days..

Well the best Suggestion would be "Upgrade" Ya it is high time for u guyz to upgrade to Microsoft WinXp.... 98 is Shit.. :p

Cheers !!

win xp is great unless your computer can not run it fast. I have many friends I have downgraded to win98 cause the machines just cant cut it. For them win98 runs much faster. If you have a fast rig xp all the way if not win98 is a great option.

If you have a Win 98 CD, you should be able to install from that. If not, go into Setup & make sure it's set to boot from D drive. You can then make a 3 1/2 floppy boot disc yourself.
What did you do to prepare the comp?

ag100

killians45 said:
you are extracting the files on to the floppy and not just copying over a zipped file to the floppy, correct?

Of course, we downloaded to C: on someone elses computer then extracted the files onto C and copied them all to the floppy, I donÂ’t even have a FDD on my PC, so I was a lot of help!

ag100 said:
If you have a Win 98 CD, you should be able to install from that. If not, go into Setup & make sure it's set to boot from D drive. You can then make a 3 1/2 floppy boot disc yourself.
What did you do to prepare the comp?

ag100

Yeah we tried that as well, it wouldnÂ’t read the CD-ROM, we again got: invalid system disk. We also tried using someone elses computer to copy boot files from the CD-ROM, that didnÂ’t work either
The computer would even turn on so we used fdisk to create a primary DOS partition then formatted the hard drive (although when we did this I didnÂ’t realize he didnÂ’t have the startup (boot) disk

And another question – how do you write protect a floppy disk? We haven’t been, do you think that may be the problem?

samantha86 said:
Of course, we downloaded to C: on someone elses computer then extracted the files onto C and copied them all to the floppy, I donÂ’t even have a FDD on my PC, so I was a lot of help!

Yeah we tried that as well, it wouldnÂ’t read the CD-ROM, we again got: invalid system disk. We also tried using someone elses computer to copy boot files from the CD-ROM, that didnÂ’t work either
The computer would even turn on so we used fdisk to create a primary DOS partition then formatted the hard drive (although when we did this I didnÂ’t realize he didnÂ’t have the startup (boot) disk

And another question – how do you write protect a floppy disk? We haven’t been, do you think that may be the problem?

This is the wrong approac. Simply copying the extracted files over wont work. You need to run the EXE file that boot.com gives you as this will extract the items to the floppy as well as make it bootable. When you do a copy and paste it usually doesnt copy the .bin files (boot files) thus the error. Download this file http://www.dehning.com/download/utilities/bootdisks/boot98.exe then make sure you have a floppy in the drive and double click the EXE it will run the batch file and prep the floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom