Help!!! Laptop CPU upgrade or should I OC it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLACOP

Solid State Member
Let me start by saying that my computer knowledge is very little. I'm getting more into these computers and it's sort of fun to learn about them.

But, I need some expert advice on how to upgrade my Pro Star 3100C laptop.

I bought this laptop used to use in my patrol car and i'm really wanting to do more than just run warrant and DL checks w/it. On slow nights such as holidays like Christmas and Christmas Eve I would like to watch a DVD or even play a game on it.

Here's the specs on the laptop: It's a ProStar 3100C w/a Celeron 433mhz Celeron cpu w/a 66FSB. But, it will take a P3 CPU as long it has a 66FSB. It's a Socket 370 PCGA or PGCA CPU

Here are my options.

Option 1:I have found a Celeron 733mhz cpu dirt cheap ($10.00). I would like to get a faster CPU such as an 800+mhz CPU but I haven't found any.

Option 2: Take it to someone who can OC the existing 433cpu or add the 733cpu and then OC it.

Option 3: Change the CPU to a P3 and then take it to someone who can OC it.

Option 3: Just change the CPU to a P3 and be happy with that. If so, then which P# w/a 66FSB gives the best performance and will still run games and etc.?

The choices are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm an old hot rodder who gave up the race car years ago but these computers are sort of like building an old hot rod. But, i'm starting from the ground up when it comes to learning about these darned computers, so keep your answers simple.

Some of the issues are that I can't find a DVD-Rom for it and if I have to use an external one they all seem to require a 900-1GH CPU and I have seen that some of the games also require a 800mhz or higher CPU.

Thanks, SMS.

i dont think you can OC it, it the options in the bios are probably locked, and you cant change them.

I agree. A pre-built laptop (which is pretty much all of them) don't overclock well, if at all. It might be time to e-bay an older laptop with a nice celeron processor in it. That's just my thoughts on the subject.

Ryan

If you overclock a laptop you can easily stand to ruin it entirely from the excess heat. That said, upgrading laptop processors are tricky, too. If I were you I'd try and find the part number of a compatible processor and buy one over eBay. Take a look at nicer laptops while you're there, too. Look for something with nicer video built into it and maybe a P3 instead of a celeron.
I would recommend an Inspiron 8100 (same thing I've got). The cpu, memory, and even video are all upgradeable and not very expensive to do so. Find one that you think seems fine for now and you can pump it up later on if need be.

Buying a new laptop is not currently an option that's open to me so i'll have to make do w/the one that I have.

In regards to the OC and cpu changes; The factory manual say's that I can safely upgrade to a P3 but one w/a 66FSB (no limit was printed in the manual on the maximum allowable speeed of the P3 cpu) or a Celeron cpu up to 900mhz as long as it has a 66FSB also.

So, would I be better upgrading to P3 or a Celeron w/a higher cpu rating?

The fastest Celeron w/a 66FSB that I can find is 733mhz. I think the highest P3 w/a 66 FSB that I could find was 600mhz.

Is there a faster P3 than the 600mhz that also has a 66FSB?

A laptop can't safely increase the FSBfrom 66 FSB to say 100FSB?

it doesnt matter that its a laptop it depends on the hardware in the laptop as to whether you can increase the FSB to 100mhz. just to echo the other guys OC'ing a laptop is not a good idea, as it is they are prone to overheating. i think all PIII's can run with a 66mhz FSB but thats underclocking it (which doesnt really matter because thats what you need). all pIII's either have a 100 or 133mhz FSB.

Are you saying that P3 chip that has a 100FSB can actually run correctly at 66FSB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom