You shouldn't read this ... or should you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graphic H

Baseband Member
Gaming Rig Help

Update: The suggestions I have recieved thus far have been very helpful but I forget to mention I am worried about the upgradablity of this computer (I dont want to buy a new Mobo for awhile). Also Im recylcing my power supply and case from my old computer (Gateway 1998 or 1999) and I was wondering if this will cause an issue. The form factor of the case is ATX. I am unsure about the details of the power supply. Any suggestions on components are still welcomed budget is still $500-$600.

-----------------------------------------------------
Now I am going to build a new computer with about a 550.00$ budget. I want this computer to run the newer games coming out with in the next few months as well as some old favorites and releases I have yet to play (ie: Half Life 2) and I want it to run that at reasonalbe speeds.

Component Description (Linked for Details)
------------------------------------------------------
Mobo
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939

Vid Card
GIGABYTE GV-NX66T128D Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Memory
Transcend 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM ECC Registered DDR 400 (PC 3200)
------------------------------------------------------
Note: All other components not listed are being recycled.

Let me know what you thinK I could really use some help with this. I am pretty sure there are no compatability issues but if you see any let me know. Email is graphich@gmail.com.

Registered memory is considerably slower than non-registered memory, ECC is ok but get RAM thats unregistered.
oh and I don't reccomend ASUS for AMD, try DFI or MSI.

Is that all you need?
what kind of Power supply?

Antec makes good PSUs, and as for you vid card go with eVGA, i bet anyone here in this forum will agree with me on that :D. And everyone will also tell you to get the DFI LanParty (haha that company has had so much success in this fourm). You also need HDDs, go with seagate or western digital oem. (the motherboard comes with cables).

~Jack

Graphic H said:
I want this computer to run the newer games coming out with in the next few months as well as some old favorites and releases I have yet to play (ie: Half Life 2) and I want it to run that at reasonalbe speeds.
You are going to need more than a 128mb/128bit 6600gt if thats true. You will need something more like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238
You may even be able to unlock 4 extra pipes on it. Also, don't get ECC, registered, or error checking ram. It's more expensive than normal RAM, and it's slower to boot. It is for use in dedicated servers where stability is all that matters. Also, you will need at least 1gb of RAM, 512mb dosn't cut it anymore. You should get this instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231027
Also, save your money and get this motherboard instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130491

everything looks good, just change the mobo to a DFI board. and your done.

and change the memory to non registered ram. you dont need ECC cause thats just used in tserverse and such

as 003 said, dont expect miracles with that card esp with newer games. U def want at least 1gb memory...

or and fix your sig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom