need help with freezing up please

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikesnet

Solid State Member
For the last few months my PC has been freezing up when left idle. It was happening once a day and then worked its way to every 10 mins, idle or not yesterday. I took it outside and used a can of air to clean out all of the dust and I replaced a dead case fan.

I then hooked it all back up and now when I boot the computer it freezes at the first screen just after displaying bios version, cpu and memory. I noticed the CPU was reporting as 1.8 rather then 2.4 so I tried going into the bios to correct it on the times when it would allow me to get that far. Once in the bios the whole thing freezes and requires and powercycle.

I believe this means my motherboard is bad. I have an ABIT BD7II-RAID motherboard. I'm using the onboard IDE raid as well.

The thing is Abit doesn't sell the BD7II-RAID anymore and I'd really hate to replace my 2.4 Pen4 and 1g of PC2100 DDR memory I have just because I can't get that motherboard anymore :(

Does anyone know of a motherboard still being sold that could replace my BD7II-RAID? If I can't find one with the same IDE raid chip will I be able to boot my drives or is my data lost?

Is there anything I can try to get my BD7II-RAID working again?

Thank you all for your help.

I believe it's the motherboard because it also freezes up when I'm in the bios setting menu, before anything has really loaded. Since I have it running a raid strip I can't unplug a harddrive and still boot. I cant even boot right now, just freezes after the bios date, cpu and mem info after turning it on.

You can load the bios without the drives pluged in. If theres a power problem then that will be an indication.

good point! gonna give it a shot now, brb.

Sui said:
You can load the bios without the drives pluged in. If theres a power problem then that will be an indication.

ok, I unplugged both harddrives, both CDROMs and the floopy. I turned it on, hit 'del' as soon as it said it and now I'm at the Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS screen with "softmenu III setup" highlited (first thing in the list) and everything is frozen. I can't do anything but pull the powercord.

just rebooted it again and went into the BIOS. It froze up while I was correcting the time/date.

I'd still try to disconnect everything, and swap things out to ensure it is in fact the motherboard. Your kind of in a bad place as far as finding a replacment, because you need a raid solution too. How much are you willing to spend on a new motherboard?

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040712/index.html

I can't really give you advice on a new motherboard because I don't know p4's, and I'd rather give you no advice then bad advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom