Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

saravanakumar

Baseband Member
hi all...
i have small doubt...in EXCEL 2003 i need to draw a line graph.....
let the values be

what i need to have is the x axis should start from 40 to 48 and i need to specify the incrementing value as 0.5 say....ie the scale
the y axis should start from zero.....

the intersection of the two axis should be at (40,0) right ...
help me out

Explain it to me again and I will help:

Y axis from bottom to top starts from 0 to ?

X axis from left to right starts from 40, 40.5, 41, 41.5, 42, 42.5 upwards to 48

The plotted line on the graph has the values 30, 30.1, 30.2, 30.3, 30.4, 30.5, 30.8, 31

I must have understood it wrongly as these values would not produce a proper graph,

the values of the plotted line on the graph should be in the same numerical range as one of the axis,

30 to 31 does not fall in the range 40 to 48,

the number of points to plot on the graph line also does not correspond to the number of integral values plotted along either of the axis.

If you write it in the following layout I will help you or maybe I am just stupid and someone else knows what your on about and can work it out:

Y axis from bottom to top starts from ?, ?, ?, ?, upwards to ?

X axis from left to right starts from ?, ?, ?, ?, upwards to ?

The plotted line on the graph has the values ?, ?, ?, ?

i dont know what u understood......
what i asked was......
the values to be plotted in the line graph are 30, 30.1, 30.2, 30.3, 30.4, 30.5, 30.8, 31
the values in the x axis should be from 40, 40.5....43
the values in the y axis should be from 0 to 40
ie. with respect to the x value 40 the y value should be 30..and it goes on....

ie the x axis values should start from 40 to 44 ( ie i should specify the values, these values are just examples)
the y axis values should be from 0....

in both axis i should specify the values at which the two axes intersect (in this case it is 40,0)
and i should specify the incremental values ie the scale (in this case 0.5 in axis and 1 in y axis)

is this possible in excel
and am i making myself clear.....
kindly help me out....
i guess this is a simple problem
thanx for any help....

graphs r used to convey information in graphical manner so that others understand only wht u wnt them to,now when u post numbers ,it' confuses the readers as to wht u want.just ask the people here how to draw a particular graph and they will tell u.

plz be clear as to want u want.

excel

the figures are just illustration and not intended for confusing....
try reading it twice..i'm clear i guess....

just in two lines...

i need to specify the values at which the two axes inntersect and the scale for two axes

this is what i want...
thanx for any help

I thought i had a correct answer, but i cant seem to relay it.

Why is it so important to know where the axes intersect?

Can you give us some actual numbers you want to graph? If you can, perhaps we could work it out and then tell you what we came up with. Then you could look at the solution and figure it out.

Ok, here's what i was looking for. If you graph a line in excel, the program is going to generate the graph based on your values, line type and so on.

The scale you choose for the X axis will determine where the two axes intercept each other.

for example if you have 5 values for "Y" (Any values) labeled "1,2,3,4,5" on the X axis, the Y axis will intercept the X axis at (0.5,?). The "?" represents the minimum value of the "Y" axis

Now if you have the same 5 values for "Y" and change the X-axis labels to "2,4,6,8,10" on the x axis, the Y axis will intercept the X axis at (1,?). The "?" represents the minimum value of the "Y" axis

Now if you have the same 5 values for "Y" and change the X-axis labels to "20,40,60,80,100" on the x axis, the Y axis will intercept the X axis at (10,?). The "?" represents the minimum value of the "Y" axis

I hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom