Motherboard for X2 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Im gettin some new parts for a PC soon and it will most likley be an AMD X2 CPU.

I was tossing up between a DFI-Ultra D or an MSI Neo4 Plat, but someone told me that its quite hard to get an X2 to work an an DFI-Ultra D... they said i need to flash the BIOS something i have never done befor.

is this true?

yeh u'll hav to upgrade/flash the bios for the X2s to work properly. its not to hard but if you get the wrong bios upgrade then u can potentially screwed up ur mobo perminently.

i've flashed a few mobos at work and its not too hard.

MSI has a Live Update program for their mobos that allows you to update your bios/drivers over the internet without having to use a floppy or CD.

All you have to do is click the icon on you desktop which brings up an MSI webpage. You then choose between bios or driver updates, the progam scans your system to what versions you have and then show what version are currently available. If there is a newer version you select update, it downloads the new version, loads it, then restarts you computer for you so the new version finishes installing and any new changes can take effect.

I just built a system for a friend with the MSI Neo4 Plat/SLI board. I think it's a great board and the update program works well too.

The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the little plastic pin that holds the SLI cuircut board in can pop out easily and is a royal pain the butt to put back in.

But I loved everything else about the board.

^^really, i have an MIS k8n neo2 plat, and i want to upgarde it, but it seems that i have to use a floppy drive. lets see

OK. I've got a question since i haven't installed an X2 CPU yet. If you're building an X2 system, but the MOBO needs to be flashed in order to support it, does it:

A.) PC not post until you flash BIOS?
B.) Post then you flash BIOS from floppy in DOS?
C.) Post and you can install OS but only one core is recognized?
D.) Post, Install OS, only one core is recognized then flash BIOS to support the dual cores?

My guess is the answer is B.
I've been wondering this? Anyone

apokalipse said:
it'll just use one core until you flash

Can somone please back this up, because my floppy drive isnt connected and i dont have any floppy disks...

or can i use a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom