XFX 6600gt beeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjlmb

Solid State Member
Hi, I ordered an XFX 6600gt from newegg awhile ago, and when I got it, put it in, and booted, the computer would start beeping loudly and the bios screens would be scrambled. I figured it was a bad card, so I RMA'ed it and got a new one today. Well, I turned it on, and it was still beeping. However, the screen wasn't scrambled. I had assumed that the beeping on the first card had to do with it being defected, but now I can tell its obviously something with my system. When booted up, throughout the startup screens it beeps very loudly, over and over. I can't tell exactly where the noise is coming from, but I guess my motherboard. Also, when I tried running Doom 3 to test it out, it worked fine for a few seconds, then the fps dipped way down. I could tell a bunch of Windows popups were coming up, so I minimized and found about 25 of the popups warning that I wasn't getting enough power. Now, before you leap at me, I DO have the psu cord hooked up to the card. So, I guess the problem is either with my power supply, or there is something wrong with the connection from the psu to the card. And if this is the problem, is that what is causing the beeping noises on startup?

I have:
Abit KV8 Pro motherboard
Raidmax 420 power supply.

Thanks

Update: After the first power issue while playing Doom, I plugged in a different molex connector from the PSU to the card, and I haven't gotten that message since. I have tried Doom again and several other games, and they seem to be running well. Yet, my computer is still making the beepings on startup. I'm thinking maybe I need to adjust something in my bios? I really don't know what to do.

the newer cards come with PC Speakers on the cards themselves...generally that's a sign of inadequate power, so if your PSU sucks or has a weak +12v rail I wouldn't doubt that to be your problem

If it makes a difference, I believe I can hear the beeping coming from my headphones too..

don't know about that, but when I sold my 6800GT AGP to my friend and went over to his house to install it, it did a ridiculously loud screetching beep as well...he tried multiple molex connectors, but what I believe it came down to was the card wasn't quite seated all the way....it was lame too, I'm talking like a freakin millimeter was all the card moved into the slot when he pushed it down to make sure it was in 100% and sure enough it then booted no probs

well aside from testing another PSU with it, yeah, pull it out, maybe use some canned air in the slot if you have some just for the hell of it, and make sure that beotch is crammed in there good

EDIT: Oh yeah, make sure the cards molex connector isn't on the same line as say a hard drive or CD-ROM....a couple low power fans will be aright, but I've seen it happen too many times where the molex connectors on one line are used 1. for the card and the 2nd for a hard drive which results in the card not functioning properly

oh now that you mention that, that could possibly be the case. Although I think I tried multiple different connectors already, but I'll give it a shot. I feel like my psu, as mediocre as it is, should still get more power out of the card than this

My friend was powering 3 hard drives, 1 optical drive, a cathode, few fans, a socket 754 3200+ CPU and the 6800GT on a crappy generic PSU with 17a on the +12v rail which is rather weak if you ask me....think his was a total of like 350w, so if yours has better specs than that, unless you've got more crap than that in your system or your PSU is even worse it should run it just fine

Yeah I'm starting to doubt that my power supply is the problem. I've only got 1 hard drive, 1 dvd drive, 3 fans, a temp monitor, socket 754 3000+, and this 6600gt, and while my psu is pretty crappy and generic (I think its 13a +12v 420w, I know very little about psu's) I figured it should handle it, especially considering your friend's situation. I even tried unpluggin the temp monitor and fans, to see if it made a difference, but there's still beeping! I also tried poking around in my bios to see if there's anything obvious, but my computer beeps the whole time until Windows starts, so it got too loud and annoying for me to actually do any looking. Any new ideas?

Side note: In terms of actual performance, the card runs much better than the old Radeon 9600se of course, but I feel like its not doing as well as it should. I know I don't have a perfect setup, but from what I read I expected more. In Day of Defeat Source I'd say I only average about 40 fps on 1024x768 resolution on high settings (no aa or af). Was I just expecting too much, or is something wrong here? And if so, do you think it has to do with the beeping? PC specs below

Abit KV8 Pro motherboard
AMD 64bit 3000+ processor
1 gig (2x512 chips) GeiL ram
120gig Maxtor HD @ 7200rpm
128mb GeForce 6600gt
Raidmax 420w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom