HD showing too many gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryde

Baseband Member
hi i just got a new system totally up and running and noticed that my hard drive is showing way too much used-space. i have maybe 50gigs of media and then just a handful of programs that ive installed but it says my capacity is at 153G.

when you use explorer and add up everything in the c drive it comes to what it should, 50 some odd gigs. what could this other 100 gigs be from? could it be my hard drive is bad and it just appears full? virus? norton says im clean. TIA

drivers for the hard drive? as far as i know they should be up to date...the system was built for me by MGD and everything's been running fine as far as i can tell

i'm gonna defrag and also run western digitals diagnostics tool and see what happens

well i ran the defrag analyzer and it said i dont need to defrag. also when you look at the color bars on the disk usage graphic in defrag it shows only about 50 gigs too. the other 80% is all white space. ???

i also ran a quick test with WD diagnostic tool and it passed too. there's an extended test too but it takes hours. i guess ill give it a shot when i take off later

It could possibly just be an explorer issue. In the network env with mounted vol's they more than sometimes show wrong numbers. It could just be a visual... The real problem would be if you got a disk full error b/c of this. As of right now its not that necessary.

well i'm still confused here. i ran the full CHKDSK utility looking for any errors, none found. i also ran the western digital extended test and everything tested good. could it have anything to do with my partition? so far i havent been able to find anything else wrong with anything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom